16

America was wandering around the place. Russia was still asleep, America was suspicious if he'd actually slept. Either way, he had nothing to do, so he limped around and hoped to find something.

America stopped at the edge of the garden, Belarus there, staring at her crops. She looked tired herself.

"Oh, America!" Belarus jumped up, waving to him and inviting him over, "I thought you would be inside with Russia."

"He's asleep," America shrugged, standing beside Belarus, "Don't wanna seem creepy."

Belarus hummed, "He doesn't normally sleep till this late. He gets up the earliest of all of us."

"Is that so?" America rolled his eyes, he knew that Russia stayed up. If he hadn't, he would've been up before America.

"I think he's worried over Ukraine," Belarus stood up straight, watching over her crops like a hawk, "Both of them used to be really close in terms of being siblings. You know we aren't actually siblings, but the way they acted really made it seem like it."

"Oh?" America raised an eyebrow, turning to Belarus.

"It snowed a few years ago," Belarus giggled on the middle of her sentence, "Those two had so much fun. It's a little bit upsetting that those two don't get along much anymore."

America frowned, and looked away.

"How do you feel 'bout this kinda stuff?" America asked, "I haven't heard many stories with you included."

"I normally stand along the sidelines," Belarus shivered, her gaze turning to the sky blanketed in clouds, "I'm used to staying out of things."

America's heart sunk for Belarus, he patted her back. He looked down at her, she had a sorrowful expression.

"I'm sure there's someone out there who'll put you over everyone else," America reassured her, "Let's hope this whole battle is over soon."

Belarus nodded slowly with hesitation. She almost believed America. Almost. But, seeing as nobody had done so already, she doubted it.

It was silent between them. The dark clouds looked heavier, darker. America could smell the strange scent of the rain, he knew it was going to come soon. And when it began to rain, it'd rain hard.

"It wouldn't strike me as Russia getting along with people that easily," America hummed, crossing his arms and leaning his weight into one leg, "Russia tends to be.. I dunno, short-fuzed? Hot-headed?"

"Both are the right words," Belarus spoke up, looking all around her, "He's always put himself above everyone else. If he starts to put you over him, America.."

Belarus shuffled her way in front of America, prodding him in the chest.

"He legitimately cares about you," Belarus nodded, a small smirk across her face. America didn't know how to react, he just stood there and blinked.

Russia let America use his blanket.

Russia gave up some of his own time, fishing, for sitting with America.

Russia literally told America to 'Go back indoors and sleep' when America found him outside.

America shivered. He was probably pointing out the more obvious things, things one friend would do for another.

But even the small things counted to him.

America abandoned his train of thought, stepping back from Belarus.

"Y'know, I'm gonna check on Russia," America motioned to the cabin awkwardly, "For all I know, he's sobbing into his pillow or something stupid like that."

America slowly, hesitantly, started towards the cabin, nervousness or excitement building up inside him. He wasn't able to tell which one, but it didn't matter; he instead wondered why he felt that way.

"He probably likes you," Belarus called from behind him, making America freeze mid-step, "You can't hide from the truth!"

"Yeah, but I can paint it as propaganda," America turned around, with a smirk across his face. Belarus huffed and rolled her eyes, averting her gaze from America. America shrugged, as he kept making his way up to the door of the cabin.

Once he was there, he knocked on it gently, before he slammed it open, waking Russia up with a start. Russia scrambled upright, glaring at America through half-lidded eyes.

"Debil," Russia muttered, "What was that for?"

"Oh, sorry, Sleeping Beauty, did I accedently wake you up?" America spoke with a high pitch, then made a pouting face, "I'm here to return my invitation for the kingdom of the fairies because I can't make it to the royal wedding. No, ya doof, that was an accident."

"How can slamming door open be accidental?" Russia furrowed his brows, "Is that just lifestyle?"

"Yeah, slamming doors open is a lifestyle," America did a jazz hands action, before giggling, and going to sit beside Russia on his mattress.

"What is up with you?" Russia asked after a moment of silence, "You are trying to make jokes of everything. People only do that when nervous. You are not nervous, are yo-"

"Nope," America interrupted quickly. Russia turned to him, with a doubtful expression across his face. America made the face Russia was pulling, mocking him, Russia quickly diverted his gaze.

"I do not care anyway," Russia grumbled under his breath, crossing his arms. America grinned slightly to himself.

Between the two, there was a thick and awkward quiet. America huffed, resting his head on his hand and his elbow on his knee. That was the downside of being at this place - there wasn't always things to do. Back at his camp, America could just as easily go and help innocents in the city, try to put an end to the genocide.

America's thoughts slowly turned to everything else that could've been happening. He was sure the camp was fine, Russia told him so. However, America had a sneaking suspicion that things weren't alright. People weren't safe. 

America dismissed it as a fake feeling, though.

Russia jolted up, his expression alert. America flinched at his sudden movement, opening his mouth to say something, but was quickly shut up, as Russia placed a hand over his mouth. America and Russia sat there, still.

"Somebody is outside," Russia cursed a few words under his breath, slowly rising to his feet. America mirrored Russia's movements.

"It could be Belarus?" America suggested, his voice nothing more than a whisper.

"No," Russia shook his head slowly, clutching onto the handle of Ukraine's gun, "There are two sets of footstep. Unless Ukraine has come back already, somebody has found us."

Russia stalked to the entrance of the cabin, opening it by a crack. He poked to muzzle of the gun through the gap, there was no sort of figure that he could see. Russia pushed the door open, taking a step outside. America continued to follow Russia, narrowing his eyes.

Two figures stepped into the clearing, one unrecognisable to Russia, but all too familiar to America. Russia thumbed the trigger.

"No!" America shrieked, knocking the gun away, the bullet hitting the lake instead. Russia balled his fists and sent a glare in America's direction. America shrunk down.

America nervously looked to the figures. One stood there with wide eyes, the other had a kind of 'I told you so' expression.

It was Ukraine and Canada.