Chapter 27: First Rehearsal

Cori, Serena and I rush inside Rian's house and head straight to his basement for our first ever official rehearsal.
"And this is where the magic happens" I say, standing in the middle of the room.
"So this is where All Time Low do their thing" Cori says, "nice."
"And this seat over here is where I sit and watch them play" I say plopping myself in my usual spot.
"More like watch Alex play" Serena says
"Pfft no."
"I catch you staring all the time. Don't think I don't notice" Alex says from the top of the stairs.
"Then you must be staring too" I smirk
"Guilty as charged" he says, "the boys and I will be upstairs just chilling. If you need us just yell."
"Thanks Alex" I say and he disappears through the door.
"I'm so excited" Serena says sitting behind the drum kit.
"If you guys have always wanted to do this, why never mention it?"
"Because, well, we don't really have a reason. No faith in ourselves?" Cori says
"That's fair" I say and grab a guitar and start tuning it.
"So we playing anything in particular or?" Serena asks
"I don't know. It depends on who's singing."
"We can always rotate?" Cori suggests, "sing one song at a time and just change who sings."
"Idea!" Serena shouts, "let's put our own spin on Evanescence. Where they usually have piano we could swap it for guitar! I think that'd be pretty cool."
"You might be onto something there. We can try it."
"Alright, you're singing Kristy, I ain't got the vocal range."
"Fine" I say and prepare myself, "I say start off basic for Cori and go with something that has guitar straight up and I'll join in for piano stuff."
"Going Under?"
I give a nod and I begin singing with Cori on guitar and Serena follows on drums.

Now I will tell you what I've done for you...

I was nervous as christ performing in front of my friends but this was something I was going to have to get used to. They were just my friends and the boys upstairs who could probably hear us. I added the guitar over the piano which actually sounded good. As the chorus came up, I used everything I had to project my voice and hit the notes perfectly. All the emotions I had was put into it. The anger and sadness I'd experienced over the years and directing it into this one song. Cori would come in with a few backing vocals which really pushed the song further. Then he got a guitar solo and he smashed it out of the park.

I'm going under!

"That was insane!" Serena says, "what the hell have we been doing with our lives?"
"Nothing obviously, Kristine you've been holding back heaps!"
"So have you, look at you and your guitar skills man."
For the next hour we kept rehearsing more songs, just having fun and finally doing something we love.
Before we knew it, Cori and Serena's parents had come to pick them up and they had to leave.
"Hey gang, your parents are here" Alex says as he stands at the top of the stairs.
"Alright, see you at school Kristy" my friends say and leave.
Alex comes down the stairs as they go up. He comes over to me and gives me a hug.
"I heard you singing. You sound incredible" he says kissing the top of my head.
"Nothing compared to you."
He grabs me by the shoulders, "are you kidding? You're way better!"
I cock my eyebrow, "I mean it Kristy, you are. Like upstairs we couldn't even believe the sounds you guys were making. It took us years to get to where you guys are and you've had a day of practice."
"Plus music class so also years."
"You know what I mean."
"So where're the boys?" I ask, "aren't you guys rehearsing?"
"They're just finishing up a video game real quick and they'll be right down."
We take a seat on the couch together and Alex grabs the electric guitar from me and starts playing around with it. He starts playing a random riff that I recognised and I begin singing to it softly.
"He was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it anymore obvious?"
He looks at me and continues playing.
"He was a punk, she did ballet, what more can I say?"
I look at Alex and I smirk, "he wanted her, but she'd never tell, secretly she wanted him as well. But all of her friends, stuck up their nose, they had a problem with his baggy clothes."
I then stand up and pretendI was singing on stage during the chorus. I dance around the room as if no body was watching.
By the next verse, Alex starts singing as he plays.
"Five years from now, she sits at home, feeding the baby she's all alone."
He was also standing at this point and we just keep singing back and forth to each other. We get to the bridge and I stand very close to Alex as he plays, displaying our chemistry.
"Sorry girl but you missed out, well tough luck that boy's mine now! We are more than just good friends, this is how the story ends. Too bad that you couldn't see, see the man that boy could be. There is more than meets the eye, I see the soul that is inside."
We didn't know that we'd gained an audience on the stairs, staring at us, impressed at how we sounded together. We reach the end of the song and Rian, Jack and Zach applaud us.
"So Alex is the skater boi now?" Zach says smirking
"Oh you know I could never skate like you Zach" Alex laughs
"You guys sound so good together like the heck?" Rian says, "should write a duet Alex and get Kristy singing."
"I might just have to, be different and fun" Alex says looking at me.
"I won't steal the spotlight any longer, you guys should get to practice" I say and go and sit back on the couch.
"Hey Kris, take it from me as your brother, don't hide your talent. Should be proud" Jack says
"Thanks Jack."
What he said really put a smile on my face, he was trying to change into a better version of himself.