Chapter 38: Monsters

The dream came in so fast, my father was holding Mjolnir and a suitcase in his hand. He was in the middle of the woods Bucky at one side and Sam at the other. Behind them was a platform or a trampoline. Bruce is there too, he says, "Now, remember... You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them. Or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

Dad tightens his grip on the suitcase, "Don't worry, Bruce. Clip all the branches."

Baner looks at the ground sad. "You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back." He looks back to Dad, "I miss them, man."

"Me, too."

Sam comes closer, " You know, if you want, I can come with you."

Dad smiles, "You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though."

Dad walks over to Buck and puts his had on his shoulder, "Don't do anything stupid 'till I get back."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." The two of them hug it out, it was cute. "Gonna miss you, Buddy."

"It's gonna be okay, Buck."

Dad goes on top of the platform in a suit that kinda looks like mine but all white and a lot cleaner. A helmet closes over his face, he looks down to a watch and nods. 

Sam looks to Bruce, "How long is this gonna take?

"For him? As long as he needs. For us? Five seconds."Dad looks to Mjolner and smiles. "Ready, Cap? Alright. We'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet."

"Going quantum. Three, two, one..."

And then he's gone.

Bruce looks at a screen and then squints. Looking back up to the platform, "And returning in, five, four, three, two, one..."

Dad doesn't appear on the pad. Bruce looks around the equipment, for something wrong.

Sam gets worried, "Where is he?"

Bruce yells, "I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp. He should be here."

Buck turns around from the pad, and looks toward the lake. 

Sam yells too, "Well, get him back."

" I'm trying."

"Get him the hell back!"

"Hey, I said, I'm trying!"

Buck taps Sam, "Sam."

Sam walks toward Bucky and points out to the lake. Sam, Bruce and Banner sees an old man sitting on a log. Sam and Bucky goes near him.

Buck pushes Sam, "Go ahead."

Bucky has a smile forming and look over to Sam, I've haven't seen that in him in so long. I walk over to where they are to get a closer view and towards the old man and I instantly recognize the now-elderly Steve Rogers.

Sam is in as much shock as me, "Cap?"

My old dad smiles"Hi, Sam."

"So did something go wrong, or did something go right?"

"Well, after I put the stones back, I thought... Maybe... I'll try some of that life Tony was telling me to get."

"How did that work out for you?"

"It was beautiful."

"I'm happy for you. Truly."

"Thank you."