38.

Joey

   I opened my eyes and realized that I was back home.

I turned over to see V sleeping soundly next to me. His arms still tightly wrapped around my body.

What had happened?

Was it all just a bad dream?

I moved his hair from his face to get a better look. I placed my hand on his soft cheek and ran my finger down his jawline.

   "How did I get so lucky?" I whispered to myself.

   "I'm the lucky one," he spoke as he slowly opened his brown eyes.

   "How long have you been awake?" I asked him.

   "I never even slept. I just couldn't sleep."

   "Why is that?"

   "I was just thinking about everything. About you. About what our future will be like and our children." He replied in his groggy morning voice.

I chuckled.

"What's so funny?" He smiled.

   "You didn't say 'offspring'."

   "Joey... do you think we'll make good parents? Do you think I'll be a good father?"

   "Of course you will. With parenting, you learn on the job. So everything you do won't be perfect but it's good as long as you try your best."

   "Joey..."

   "Hmm?"

   "I love you."

   "I love you too."

He moved down to my stomach and whispered, "I love you."

   "Aww. That's so cute." I beamed as he looked up at me.

He hugged my waist and laid his head on my stomach.  We cuddled for the next few minutes until I broke the silence. "Shouldn't you be getting ready for work?"

   "Sounds like you're trying to get rid of me," he pouted.

   "I'm not... I just--"

   "I know." He nodded as he sat up. "I liked my job. But, I realized that if I'm there... I can't protect you. And you're more important to me."

   "V." I said. "You don't have to quit your job because of me, really."

   "I want to be here with you. I don't want what happened over the past few weeks to happen ever again." He shook his head. "It could have all been prevented if I was here with you."

   "V--" he cut me off with a passionate kiss to the lips.

   "Just let me stay here with you."

   "... ok." I nodded. He kissed me again and I grabbed his shirt to pull him closer.

   "Joey..." he said breathily as he pulled away.

   "Hmm?"

   "Can we..." he words trailed off as he hesitated in asking me.

   "...Have sex?"

   "Yes."

   "Yeah," I smiled as I reached under his shirt to pull it off.

   "Wait, you're pregnant, though. We can't."

   "Yes, we can." I straddled him. "It's not going to affect them." I kissed him again. He grabbed my hips and I pulled the sheets over the both of us.