Chapter Five

° MINA °

I stomped my foot for the umpteenth time, looking around to see if Cheska was already nearby

I stomped my foot for the umpteenth time, looking around to see if Cheska was already nearby. I'd been standing here on my spot around the damp streets of late night LA, after I attended the debut celebration of Cheska's younger sister, Rie. But my feet were burning because I was standing for the past hour and a half; in addition to that, I was wearing high-heels (which I never got used to wear).

After a couple of drinks as well, my head felt dizzy and my vision was getting worse each passing minute. I shouldn't have drunk, but goodness their mom convinced me. Now here I was, struggling to focus. And surely, being out in the middle of the night wasn't anything safe for a defenseless, sober, skinny woman like me. Especially because I had no companion but my eyes, as they helped me keep a look out of whatever dangerous was out lurking around here.

Since I was pretty much out of concentration, all I did was listen. For real. I was waiting to hear a familiar honk of a car, or Cheska's voice calling me to get inside the vehicle. Well, she left me alone here to drive her drunk boyfriend home and even left me a statement saying she'll be back after a little while. My patience was already running out of fuel, and my sanity was on the brink of extinction.

I sent her text messages, but they were left on read. I wondered what she was up to, what was taking her too long to fetch me and save me from having a mental breakdown in the middle of the street. Knowing her, she loved her boyfriend a lot and too whipped to leave him for a bit. Well, maybe I just had the answer. Goddamn Cheska, he sure was already fucking you tonight. Now what, I had to walk home alone?

She dropped me somewhere safe actually, but this was like a dead-end. Like, an abandoned park near the shore—yes I could clearly hear the sound of the waves crashing amidst this silent dusk, which was pleasing. I had no idea where to go but I saw a lighthouse from afar. Taking the initiative to find myself a cozy shelter to rest, I started walking towards the direction where I was seeing the lighthouse.

After several minutes I finally reached to an empty bench placed in between two coconut trees. As I looked up in front me, I was greeted by one of the most beautiful sights I'd ever encountered. The bright moon stood out amongst the constellations of scintillating stars, as if it was smiling at the calm sea. I believed that if a person painted my position right at this moment—where I was admiring the view while my back faced them—then it'd be a spontaneous work of art.

It was simple, yet indeed beautiful.

Connecting with nature was one of my favorites, but as soon as I felt the extremely cold air touching my skin, I lost all the warmth I thought I just gained. Shivers ran along my spine and spread all throughout my skin. And after staying there for several minutes, my lips started trembling. The coldness was weakening me and I knew it, but I didn't see a choice. I'd rather freeze than standing alone on the open, dark streets with my heels on only to get kidnapped at the end.