Epilogue

° MINA °

If it wasn't for Riley, I could've died out of boredom

Putting the remote control back on the table, I winced when I felt a mild pain in my stomach. I checked the time, it was thirty-seven minutes past twelve in the afternoon but I still hadn't eaten yet; I had nothing to eat at the moment. Well, because I already consumed all meals which were delivered earlier. As much as I hated the thought of eating too much, I couldn't really stand having no food to munch on for too long. I clicked my tongue, quite irritated by my behavior.

I took a look outside the window, trying my best to distract myself. The sun's light shone so bright down on the Earth, but the wind was fortunately able to help me withstand the heat. With the help of the electric fan in the corner as well, I wasn't feeling so hot or dried. Nevertheless, I was so certain that it was burning hot outside. And much to my surprise, there were still people strolling around the streets under the unmanageable heat of the sun.

I recognized some of them. There was Mrs. Pebbles, a middle-aged office worker and a single mother who was able to successfully raise all three of her children, and all of whom had prosperous lives with their own families. My respect for her was high, sometimes I even wondered how she was able to help herself up from the dust while not letting go of her children either. It was really inspirational.

Riley's soft giggles reached my ears, so I turned around only to see him looking so happy while playing with Boots, our one year old golden retriever. A smile crept across my face, as my eyes fixated at the two precious souls right in front of my very eyes.

"M-Mommy. . . look, doggy." Riley burst into fits of giggles once again when Boots smelled his small toes. My smile inevitably grew wider, turning into a grin. Carefully, I scooted closer to him. As he continued laughing, his short arms immediately reached for me, trying to embrace me. "Mom. . . mommy," he mumbled cutely, looking at me in the eyes.

I gently pinched his nose, stroking his back with my other hand. "Look at mommy." I covered my face using my hands, and after counting up to three, I uncovered it as I said, "Boo!" My heart melted when he threw his head back, unable to keep himself from laughing in the cutest way possible. It felt so good to realize that the littlest things made him so happy, and I sincerely hoped it'd always stay like that.

"Thank you for being born, you're my happiness," I muttered under my breathe, considering he might not even understand what I was saying. Whenever I felt sad or moody, Riley was always just there to make my lips twitch into a smile. Especially whenever I was alone at home (like this day), with no one else to talk to. Glancing at the view outside yet again, I heaved a deep sigh. "I wonder when your father will come back again. He's been away for so long."

I fell into silence. I really missed Rain so much. At times I wouldn't express it all, but deep inside he was always the one I longed for. Those times when I'd stroke his hair while he was sitting on my lap, when I'd sit beside him to feed him while he was busy at perfecting his painting, when I'd nestle in his arms, when I'd give him kisses all over his adorable, handsome face; I missed all of those. The moments we spent together were embedded deeply in my heart, and our memories together seemed to remain as fresh as ever even though they were. . . gone. All I could do was to pray for his return. I didn't know when.