Amongst The Earth

The winds blew as a single snow flake fell, within the beauty of the earth, the bright green eyes of Valen looked around himself, something was amiss --something has happened. He stood up and glanced at his brothers --who were busy searching for herbs with him, now watching as he stood there --waiting. "Something is wrong, there is a strange aura in the winds...." He took one step further to look at the falling snow, a single flake landing in the palm of his hand, the small flake melting on contact, "Has anyone checked on Lorelley?" he asked, one of them stood up --it was Brayve. "Sorry, Valen. Nobody has seen her today, she was last gone to the town at the outskirts of the forest." He nodded as he waved him away, Brayve lowered his head as he understood. Waving at the others, the other three got up and started walking --following Valen as they headed back to their cabin.

Valen walked ahead while the other four followed behind, all of them were watching as the snow fell softly to the ground. Hexon, the third brother, picked up the basket of berries he had managed to get, "I'll gather more wood as soon as we get there, it is almost evening, Valen." Hexon said loud enough for his eldest brother to hear. "Indeed Hexon, tell Soren that Lorelley will help him cook this evening, It's time she get more involved with the duties we each take."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was clouded in the skies even more as they finally entered the cabins door, the smell of rain hinted that the snow was not the only thing to fall today. Valen and his brother Soren quickly changed from their dirty clothes, into some clean breeches, white shirts and waist coats-- Valens a dark grey. Sitting there, talking amongst themselves in another language --lacing up their black soled leather boots, "I need you to come with me to go get Lorelley, she's been running back and forth constantly lately." He smiled as his brother gave him those eyes that said he knew exactly why, "have you spoken with her about it?" his eyes searching his brothers for an answer, Valen shook his head, "Not likely, she's been dodging my words lately. She just has a wrestles spirit, she'll let him go soon." Soren looked to the other three who were busy making a fire and chopping fire wood. "Have you told her....that you've known for sometime?" putting his long black hair into a pony tail. Valen deep in thought, remembering how she had reacted the last time they spoke, angered at him for an unknown reason. Even though he had only asked the question, "what have you been doing?" quickly buttoning the cuffs on his sleeves. Was she going to keep her secret longer than he had expected? Denying it each time he would ask? Standing tall, he looked to his brothers, each of them gave him a nod, and he was on his way. Soren catching up to him shortly after.

Valen reached a hand out in front of himself as he looked to the skies, waiting for the rain. A cool breeze flowing gently around him. Looking to the river, a black swan dancing around --a sign. To others it was just superstition, "Soren! look there." His hand pointing to the black swan that seemed to be watching them, quickly Soren walked to the waters edge. The animal slowly making it's way towards them, swaying slightly, it's eyes a dark red. Soren's hand stretched forth, the beak of it resting on his fingers. Standing up to face Valen who eyed his brother from the side, waiting, "Someone has shed blood on the lands." his head low as he spoke. Valen knew he'd have to clean that mess-- him and his brothers, in order to hide themselves from the nobles who had them wanted.

Soren's green eyes changing to a golden color. "It says it witnessed something-- but it won't say fully." Valen kneeling down, looking into it's eyes, then back to Soren, "it doesn't wish to say anything further." He got up and dusted his knee's, "let us be on our way, we'll find the source soon, we need supplies for now." His brother agreed, both of them continuing on towards the small town. Talking about everything they needed to do before the snow really started to fall heavily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lately there have been too many deaths, I think someone has been on to us." both of them walking a little more through the forest, a silent voice calling out in the winds, both of them looked at each other for a moment before they continued. The crunching of the grass and leaves sounded loudly as a few birds flew overhead, sounds of screams from the birds, as the two brothers looked to the skies, "this must have been an important person to them? Or it startled them on their daily search for berries?" Soren suddenly shaking Valen's arm violently, "what is wrong?" he asked, pushing his brother away --looking ahead where his brother had been pointing. The blood in his veins burned as he caught sight of her baby blue dress-- dirtied and torn. Her beautiful porcelain skin stained with blood. Her mortal body laying there. A few wild animals standing by, quickly Valen and his brother rushed to her body, kneeling down. Valen's hand touching the earth, the dying blades of grass entwined between his fingers. The voice of her blood screaming within the earth. His heart pounding fast, the sudden shock he was experiencing. "her blood screams from the earth." Soren looked at her face, opening her eyes slightly with his thumb. The pupils were grey and lifeless. Though the touch of her skin still held a lingering feeling, "She's been here almost a day." Valen felt as if he would shed a tear, holding back. He had truly cared for her, even though she had decisive ways.

Unable to look at his brother as he felt it deep down in his heart, she was alone in the dark. Somewhere on the plains of existence.

"We may have yet to save her soul." His brother aids, his eyes turn to him and without hesitation, he touches the grounds before him and hears the screams of her last breath. "Give me a sign..." Soren whispered to the few blades of blood stained grass

"How long do we have?" He looked to Soren with worry in his eyes, never had he felt such a feeling before, other than when their mother had cried when their father left them, "We need tonight to do it. There is going to be a full moon." He looked to the skies, "We still have a chance, we must take her back. Quickly."

Valen looked at the beauty laying before him, regretting not telling her anything, not letting her in his world. Why marry her if she wasn't able to know anything of who they truly were? was it because he was afraid she would tell someone? Hoping she would tire of him?

"I had thought it was best she know nothing about us, hoping that she would be distracted with her secret more than bringing us out into the light." Soren patted his brothers back, "This can be fixed, as everything else." A hatred burning within them both, Valen listened now as the winds flowed freely around him, telling him of what had happened. His green eyes burning brightly, closing them as he ran his fingers across her blood. He could hear her screams, the apology she had made, and the name she had spoken before her tragedy.

"Are you still angry with her?" Soren asked, his brother looking to him, "there is nothing to be angry with her for, I had forgiven her long ago." An understanding smile on Soren, "let us be on our way." He placed his hands underneath her, picking her up with ease. Valen took a glance around and noticed the small blade where her body was. Picking it up he turned it over and recognized the engraving, the words "Greysmourne" on the handle. "I know who it was." A flicker of fire in his eyes. Hatred, and a thirst for revenge.

"Come Valen, hurry. The moon is already showing itself."