Curse of the Colt Family

I was just relaxing at my house. Drinking tea while reading books is a great way to kill time. Then I heard a knock on my door.

I opened the door. I see a man slightly taller than me, dressed in a brown coat.

The man asked, "Excuse me, I'm looking for Detective Richard?"

I answered, "That's me."

The man replied, "Oh, good afternoon, detective. I came here to find you because I need to ask for your help."

I said, "Sure, come inside!"

The man entered. He sat on the sofa. I sat on my couch. I offered him some tea.

I said, "Would you like some tea?"

He accepted, "Ah, Thank you."

I asked, "So, may I know your name?"

The man answered, "How rude of me not to introduce myself! Greetings, detective. My name is Jonathan Colt. I am here because there is something I need your help with."

I asked, "What is that?"

He answered, "I'm afraid someone is trying to kill me."

I asked for confirmation, "Someone's trying to kill you?"

He answered, "Yes. The story goes a long way back though. It might take some time to explain. Will you be willing to listen?"

I replied, "Of course!"

He expounded, "So, here we go. A long time ago and up to this day, my family owned a company. A large company. The company was very successful. The company took over some small business as well. In particular, one of the small business my family's company took over had its owner killing himself. After that, my family members begin to die. Some by accident, some by disease. It is said it is a curse my family had for taking over small business and being cruel. But I don't believe in curses. I believe someone has been killing my family members one by one. Now, I believe that someone is trying to kill me now. Do you believe anything I said, detective?"

I answered, "Some doubt here and there, but I don't think you're lying."

He said, "That's great. The police wouldn't believe a thing I said."

I said, "Your story is pretty unique and perhaps, absurd sounding. Your family members died from illness and accidents?"

He answered, "Yes, they did."

I replied, "It's no wonder if the police didn't believe you then. How would anyone make someone else sick? Also, accidents must be made perfectly to avoid police suspicion. Making it happen more than once is almost impossible."

He said, "But even if they say I am imagining things, I believe someone is pulling the strings behind my back."

I asked, "You said your company took over a small business company and the owner committed suicide. What was the company called?"

He answered, "Berogrades."

I asked, "That company was run by the Berogrades family, right? I think I saw the suicide news on the newspaper."

He answered, "It was. That was 5 years ago."

I said, "I recall that the family of the owner of the company was so shocked they moved somewhere else, right?"

He answered, "Right. The owner of the company had a daughter."

I asked, "He did?"

Jonathan explained, "He did. The company owner had a daughter. It was said the daughter had a great grudge against my family. I believe she must be the person causing the deaths in my family."