There was an Attempt

It was just another day. A cloudy day. I was at home reading a novel I got into several days prior.

I heard a knock on the door. I went to see who it was. It was Officer Mark.

Officer Mark greeted me, "Good afternoon, detective."

I greeted him back, "Good afternoon, Officer Mark. What brings you here today?"

Officer Mark replied, "Try guessing."

I spoke, "It's obvious you came searching for me because there was a crime, but what crime is it this time?"

Officer Mark spoke, "Today is a little unique. It's a very unusual one. We're not going to solve a case. We're going to prevent a crime. Shall we walk to the crime scene? We can dive into the details as we walk."

I answered, "Yes we can."

I put on my coat and we were on our way to the crime scene. On the way to the crime scene, Officer Mark gave me some details on the case.

I asked, "So tell me, what's this about preventing a crime? That shouldn't be my job, should it?"

Officer Mark spoke, "That's true. Today would be exception. We need you to find the culprit."

I asked, "Wouldn't finding the culprit be similar to what I usually do?"

Officer Mark spoke, "Well, this time, the case is a crime that may happen."

I asked, "May happen?"

Officer Mark spoke, "There was a murder attempt, which failed. The police were called. There was proof of attempted murder, but we don't know the culprit. That's why we had to ask for your help. If the culprit isn't arrested, who knows what he might do in the future?"

I replied, "Ah, I see. Well, let's get to the case's detail, shall we?"

Officer Mark spoke, "Let's. The murder happened at a theatre. The could-have-been victim is the theatre supervisor, Noah Domwell."

I asked, "A theatre? That's a very unusual murder place."

Officer Mark spoke, "He had some enemies within the theatre staff. We already identified 5 suspect."

I asked, "What did he do to get so many enemy?"

Officer Mark spoke, "Apparently, his way of doing things was not popular amongst the staff. Nevertheless, he still did his job properly and excellently, so the theatre owner didn't fire him."

I asked, "How was the failed murder attempt done?"

Officer Mark answered, "Someone attempted to poison Mister Domwell's coffee. Before he drank the coffee, a stray cat came in by the window and drank the coffee. The cat died afterwards. Normally, the death of an animal might have been ignored, but the director had a hunch something was not right and called the police. His hunch was as true as it can be."

I answered, "Honestly, that level of luck is unimaginable. A random cat entered your workplace, drank your coffee, and died. Someone had a sudden hunch that something was not right, so the police were called. Turns out there was a poisoning attempt somebody made."

Officer Mark commented, "Well, it is what is."

I asked, "Narrowing it down, which of the aforementioned 5 people with murder motives could have done the murder?"

Officer Mark answered, "Everyone could. Mister Noah made his coffee in the break room, and went to work. He wouldn't to drink his coffee until it was almost twelve o'clock. Anyone could have entered the crime scene and put poison in his coffee. However, through witness accounts, we found out only five person excluding Mister Noah had entered the break room that day."