Chapter 36

Blaine stepped into the sunlight, blinking a few times to adjust to the new atmosphere. He could feel the fresh air on his skin, and inhaled deeply. The cellar had been freezing, but up here was warm and light. He felt alive again. He glanced around, taking in the damp surroundings, eyes glazing over a row of keys hanging up…

"Blaine?" Kurt called out. Hearing Kurt's voice immediately reverted Blaine back to him.

"Kurt?"

"In here." Cautiously, Blaine made his way to the front room. He peered in the doorway. Sure enough, there was Kurt. Blaine's features lit up at the sight of him, while Kurt's jaw dropped. Blaine's smile faltered slightly when he took in Kurt's tear-streaked cheeks, and the way he was curled in on himself. Tears continued to stream down his face, but Kurt wasn't sure if they were of joy or confusion. His head ached from the mental strain of having Blaine torn away from him, and then put together again in front of his eyes. His chest heaved, flaming from the sobs that had crashed through him. He was exhausted.

"How are you here? Are you really real?" Kurt asked brokenly.

Instantly, Blaine surged forward, and was across the room within seconds. He knelt down by Kurt, unsure as to how to continue. He didn't speak. He didn't need too. Gently, almost hesitantly, he raised his hand, tracing his fingertips over Kurt's cheek. Kurt's breath hitched at the contact, as Blaine wiped away his tears.

"I'm here, baby. I'm real." Kurt breathed in deeply, meeting Blaine's eyes. Blaine could see he was very distressed. "What happened?"

Kurt closed his eyes, as Blaine tenderly moved his fingers from Kurt's face to his hair, raking them through the silky, if slightly matted locks.

"They went out for food. They chained me up and left me here." Blaine's face clenched in anger.

"Did they hurt you?" Kurt shook his head, eyes still closed.

"No, but I heard -" He cut off, unable to finish the sentence. He choked back a sob, as Blaine looked at him quizzically.

"What, Kurt?" Kurt's eyes scrunched up in pain, as he tried to hold down the tsunami of emotion. The current was already beginning to drag him back down as the memories flashed back. Blaine could see Kurt's fear, so moved his hand to the back of Kurt's head, and pulled him towards him to press a small kiss to his forehead. Kurt's eyes snapped open as Blaine pulled away. He looked into Blaine's eyes, as Blaine's fingers gently traced patterns on Kurt's neck.

"They - they told me you were dead." Kurt bravely got out. Blaine blinked in shock.

"They said that?"

"Well, that, and the fact I heard gunshots. God Blaine, I really thought you were gone." Tears still fell, as Blaine wrapped his arm around Kurt's waist.

"I'm here now. I'm not going anywhere." He whispered in Kurt's ear. Kurt whipped his head round.

"But you have to go! You're really free now!"

"But -"

"Please don't be noble. You've got a second chance, take it!"

"And I'm not leaving without you! Especially now. I was so scared when they took you away."

"Blaine, I'm stuck." He emphasised the handcuffs by raising his hand. The metal links clinked together as he moved. Blaine glanced down at the cuffs, taking in the small key hole. His mind replayed from the moment he stepped out of the cellar door to the keys in the hallway. He laughed in realisation. Before Kurt could register, Blaine jumped up and ran into the corridor.

"Blaine?" Kurt called out anxiously. Blaine bounded down the corridor, coming to a stop at the keys. Weirdly, they were lined up in size order, and were shined beyond belief. He scanned them, as his eyes settled on the smallest, thinnest key. He grabbed it hopefully, and bounced back into the front room.