14. Filial Piety

As she entered the living room of the house she grew up in, Ariadne Seymour's hesitant steps echoed throughout the exuberance surrounding her.

Yes, Ariadne Seymour — she had no choice but to momentarily leave Umbra and revert back to her original self for now.

Once again, in spite of her best efforts to detach herself from these chains, they had come back to haunt her.

They always did, thought the silver-haired girl, as she approached the crimson sofas in the middle of the room, upon which her mother waited for her.

Madeline Seymour fancied herself an elegant, sophisticated woman, and her clothing and appearance always reflected this, the lavish white dress she now wore being no exception.

However, that did not bother Ariadne as much as the fact that she resembled her mother greatly, and had gotten her silky and originally black hair from her, as well as her striking and uncommon gray eyes.

And right now, her mother's eyes gazed at her in an indecipherably solemn manner, which made her hesitate to sit down on a sofa herself, or even say anything.

'Long time no see,' the black-haired woman greeted her at last, while putting on a more affable face. 'How have you been?'

Ariadne was caught by surprise by such a greeting, but eventually managed to reply as naturally as she possibly could.

'Great. You?'

'...Well, I'm glad to hear that,' said Madeline, ignoring her daughter's question before asking another one herself, 'don't you want to sit down?'

Although she couldn't really say she wanted to, Ariadne went ahead and took a seat on the crimson sofa opposite her mother. Between them was a small marble table with a rather extravagant teapot and its respective set of cups, and soon the black-haired woman offered her daughter tea, which the latter respectfully declined.

'Father said you wanted to tell me something,' brought up Ariadne, 'what is it?'

Madeline breathed in deeply, as if preparing herself for an arduous task.

'I do, but... first I must ask you to please listen to everything I have to say... and then decide what you want to do... and what's best... for everyone.'

Ariadne didn't say anything in return, and so, just like her father had done moments ago, her mother appeared to take her silence as a form of consent.

'You see, your father and I... contrary to what you might think, we are aware there have been times... where we made mistakes as parents. And you might have even more trouble believing this, but... we've beaten ourselves up over them many, many times. But... that's just the way things are — we're human... we make mistakes... and that's why family is so important. Because family is always there for you, no matter how many mistakes you make.'

Ariadne listened on with a serious look on her face.

'That's why... no matter how many times we fight, your father and I will always be willing to bend... and let bygones be bygones. Because no matter what, you're still our daughter. You still carry our blood... and you always will — the bond between parents and their children is unbreakable. And that's why, regardless of what happened... the last time you were here... we'd still welcome you back with open arms.'