Chapter 19

"White is not my color." Wanda stared at her reflection, taking an experimental turn before the mirror.

"Don't worry, no one's taking away your Hot Topic card." Natasha came to stand behind her, her reflection smiling. "You look good."

"You do." Laura Barton was at her other side. The dress was hers, a light sundress that bared Wanda's shoulders and swirled prettily when she moved. Laura had been kind enough to let her borrow it, though Wanda had accessorized it herself, bangles clanking at her wrists as she swept her hair back from her face. Natasha had been trying to style it for her, but she liked it best when it hung free around her shoulders.

They were still on the farm, in one of the upstairs bedrooms. So much was still uncertain – if they would be able to return home, if they would be hunted – but about this she had no doubts. When she and Vizh had made their announcement, the others had been surprised... and happy. She couldn't remember the last time they had had cause to celebrate and she'd realized that this feeling was something she wanted to share. Besides, their days might well be numbered. There had been no reason to wait.

Stepping to the window, she looked down over the yard. Clint and Sam had built a wooden archway, twining it with the same pale streamers that looped along the porch and fences. Chairs had been set to either side of a short aisle and the children played there, throwing confetti at each other by the fistful. Laura stood beside her, smiling as Clint separated them.

Wanda felt her own lips twitch as she spotted Vision walking with Thor. The Thunder God's arrival had been a surprise. He had come too late for Steve's funeral – alluding to growing dangers off-world – but when he had learned that there was to be a wedding, he had lifted Wanda in a rib-crushing hug. She remembered his smile as he set her down, the way he had leaned close to tell her that Steve would have been pleased. What's more, since he was a sovereign prince of Asgard and technically a god, he had insisted on officiating.

As she watched, he slung an arm around Vision's shoulders, offering him a drink from his flask, which Vizh politely declined. Sam and Clint joined them and, though Wanda couldn't hear their words, they seemed to be debating her husband-to-be's clothing choices. He went through several possibilities, the molecules of his body shifting and reforming as the others argued and offered suggestions. All of them were smiling, laughing, and Wanda couldn't help but smile with them.

Laura took her arm and pulled her away from the window. "Come on. We're not done with you yet, either."

She sat Wanda on the bed and Natasha crouched in front of her with a makeup bag.

"I can do it myself."

Natasha ignored her and busied herself with her tools. "Mm hm."

"Stop squirming. You have to let us help. It's tradition." Laura folded her arms, looking almost threatening despite her grin.

"I am a genetically enhanced former criminal marrying a man with a synthetic body."

"Even more reason to do this right." Laura stepped to the closet and returned with a box, opening it to reveal the veil nestled inside.

Wanda shook her head. "I can't."

"You will. I insist."

A wild laugh escaped her. Wanda's own mother was no more than a memory. She had never had friends. The sheer normalness of the moment seemed suddenly ludicrous... and overwhelming.

"Don't you dare cry. I'm not starting over." Natasha smirked, but gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"It's just... I... thank you."