Chapter 6

Jinyoung got a day off every week and on such days, he could be with his teammates at the police headquarters. In the office, they were gathered around a laptop on which a CCTV footage was being played.

The other three had already checked it and skipped the unnecessary parts, to the important part at night. With the help of the street lights, the view was pretty clear. It had captured the street outside the community centre.

Someone in a leather jacket with something like a briefcase in his gloved hand and a mask over his face, appeared. Jinyoung paused the video and zoomed in.

"Is that a briefcase? And it's Jung Wonjae, right?" Although the face was covered, his build could not be mistaken.

"Yes," Jaebum said, "It was around 2 AM."

Jinyoung continued the video and some minutes later, another man appeared, with his face covered and hands gloved, just like Jung Wonjae, in a long coat and quite taller than Jung Wonjae. And in his hand as well, there was a briefcase.

"So they'd arranged to meet there. They didn't even care about the CCTV," Jinyoung commented.

"The second man was, for sure, the murderer," Yugyeom said in enthusiasm. "He was the only man who came out again into the street."

Just like Yugyeom had said, the taller man could be seen again after more than half an hour, and he had something against his chest, which was covered by his coat.

"Both of their hands were in gloves. That was why there was no fingerprint," Jaebum said and stopped the video.

"Did you see Jung Wonjae's body at the crime scene? Tell me everything."

They all sat around the table and Jackson handed Jinyoung his phone. There was a photo of Jung Wonjae on the screen. A knife wound in the stomach was what had killed him and what was interesting, was that he looked thoroughly beaten.

"Seems like they'd had a fight before he was stabbed." Jinyoung handed the phone back to Jackson. "What about the briefcase?"

"None was found beside him," Jackson said, "The murderer seemed to have taken both. We can even conclude their fight was over what was inside those briefcases. And I'll say, it was drugs, don't you think so?"

"That's what I'm thinking too. An exchange of drugs and money. Like a scene in a movie," Yugyeom said.

"Then it's a black market crime. But the man was not definitely Kim Shiwoo. That man was taller and slimmer than Kim Shiwoo," Jinyoung mused. Then, something struck him. Two briefcases, seemingly drugs and money inside each of them. "Yes, that's it! Why didn't I think of it before?"

"What?" Jaebum asked.

"What Kim Shiwoo said on the phone. It just fit this story." Jinyoung retold them about Kim Shiwoo's phone conversation. "Didn't it sound like he had ordered someone to carry out that mission and was asking that person if whatever inside each of those briefcases was safe?"

"Damn yes," Jackson exclaimed, "That's a circumstantial evidence. But an evidence nonetheless."

"But how can we prove that Jinyoung heard those words?" Jaebum pointed out, sinking down in his chair.

"Ah, that's the problem," Jackson agreed.

"Jinyoung hyung should've recorded those words!" Yugyeom said, which earned a kick in the shin from Jinyoung.

"Don't be stupid, Kim Yugyeom. How could I know that he was going to say something of such sort? I almost got a heart attack in that room."

"Speaking of which, what about Mark Tuan? What's your opinion? As far as we've checked, he has a clear record," Jaebum said.

The other two were also evidently curious and Jinyoung cleared his throat. "He's always with Kim Shiwoo. Most of the time. It's still unclear whether he's involved in Kim Shiwoo's crimes or not. I'm still judging their relationship."

"Are you suspicious of him?" Jaebum pressed.

"Well... I don't know," Jinyoung felt a little self-conscious. "He's a little bit-"

"Flirtatious?" Jaebum laughed, enjoying Jinyoung's speechless state. "You once told me. Did he flirt with you?"

"Oh my, hyung, you're having your romance there then. Look at his cheeks," Yugyeom pointed at Jinyoung's flushed face, "Scarlet!"

Jinyoung slapped his hand away and straightened in his chair. He knew he was doomed. They were not going to let go of that, especially Yugyeom.

"Jinyoung, is that why you can't say you're suspicious of him? Man, be objective," Jackson joined.

"Stop. It's not like that. He's annoying. I'd be more than happy to hand him to the police. You've no idea of what I had to go through in that hotel every single day," Jinyoung heaved a deep sigh. But instead of sympathy, he only got another round of laughter.

In the evening, they went out for dinner at a restaurant. It was an outing for them to clear their minds and enjoy themselves, leaving all the worries, concerns and theories in the office.

"Cheers!"

The wine glasses were clinked and the mouth-watering smell of the dishes teased their stomaches. They were at an outdoor table and the car noises were a little overwhelming. The night breeze, however, compensated for that.

"So, hyung, how's the progress?" Yugyeom asked Jinyoung.

"What progress?"

"You and that Mark Tuan," Yugyeom dodged before Jinyoung could hit him, bursting into laughter.

"Stop it, Yugyeom," Jinyoung said gravely, which shut Yugyeom for a good while. But then he wandered back to that topic again.

"How did he flirt with you, hyung?"

"We want details, Jinyoung," Jackson winked.

"You all seriously. There's nothing to talk about. Stop that already."

"Okay, okay," Jaebum said, "We know you want to keep those details for yourself only."

Jinyoung gave up. He had thought he could enjoy a day without Mark Tuan.