Prologue

“Shavana!”

I heard a squeaky voice shrek as I enter the classroom. Before I could blink my eyes, I felt a person wrap their arms around me so tight. I turned around and realized that Nikki was screaming and hugging me so tight that I could barely breathe. “Okay I get it. Get off me, I can’t even breathe.” I mumbled in response to her actions.

“Ah, okay then! Sorry!” She said with a guilty expression plastered on her face.
That moment, I started hearing murmuring and whispering that I did not hear before. One boy started tell a girl, “Damn, isn’t she hot?” She glared at him and slapped his arms saying, “That’s my friend you’re talking about! Watch your mouth, idiot!” I processed that voice in my head and realized that voice belongs to my other friend, Jana.

“Settle down, everyone! I don’t think anyone would like it if I start sending people to detention now. It’s just a student who hasn’t been coming in for a bit, nothing special. Now open your books to page 69 and read SILENTLY. I should not hear a word from anyone’s mouth.”
Well, at least everyone won’t make a whole whispering game, I thought. I pulled out my book and turned to page 69 and started reading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ ' 45 minutes later ' ~ 1st Period Over ~ | Bell rings | ~ 2nd Period : Science Class ~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I glanced at my watch and back to my schedule as me and my 7 friends walk down the hallway. I felt so many eyes on me but I didn’t look up. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up to see Miya.

“Yo, Shavana. Don’t you feel uncomfortable with all these people staring at you?”

I shook my head and responded, “No I don’t.” Miya’s eyebrows shot up and looked at Rosita and shrugs. Ida comes out of nowhere and speaks up, “The advantages of being pretty…” I gave her a puzzled look as if I did not understand a word she just said.

Advantages of being pretty? Wha-

“Excuse me u-u-uh Shavana! I have been watching you from far away a-and I was w-wondering if you w-would like to g-go on a d-d-d-date with me?”

Before I could even answer, Nikki came in and pushed the boy away. “Sorry but not one of us gave you permission to hit on one of our friends! Plus, you do look shorter than her so you won’t live long! Why? Because we all know that the shorter you are, the shorter life you will have! Now go away and stay away from her, single pringle!” She said. The boy ran away crying to his friends and the girls laughed their heads off.

I shoved at Nikki, “Why’d you do that? He was only asking out! That was unnecessary for you to do that!” Nikki glanced at me and shrugs. “I’m only doing what’s best for you~” I did a facepalm in front of her while Rosita chuckled and Ayesha fell down to the floor. I rolled my eyes at Nikki and she shrugs again. “Come on! Let’s go before Mr. Lexis might choke us to death for being late!” Iva said, dragging Ida along with her as she runs towards the staircase. Ayesha screams, “WAIT FOR MEEEEEEE!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ ' After School ' ~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walk towards home, my mind was stuffed. I forgot that mother said no walking after school. Mrs. Yunis gave as a whole feast of homework today and I might be a late-nighter today, once again. Nikki promised to give be a BTS Jin photocard tomorrow and 2 sheets of BTS stickers as well. I had so many problems settling on my mind already but there was one that was bugging me. Ida did say something about the advantages of being pretty.

Advantages of being pretty? Pfft...she must be joking. Having everyone’s eyes glued to me is an advantage? I don’t like attention on me at all and that’s an advantage? She must be joking…

I stepped inside of my house and locked the door behind me. “Mom?” I shouted.

No response. I ran inside and ran everywhere in search of my parents. I finally gave up and ran inside of the bathroom, slamming the door behind me. I fell on the floor and cried.

Why don't they ever stay home and spend time with me if they really do love me?