Chapter Four

Time skip information: 

Obsidian and Citrus went through the two weeks relatively smoothly. Jasper punched a hole in the wall the first day. The next she was on her first assignment from Yellow Diamond. At the end of the two weeks, Skinny and Carnelian were sent to Pink Diamond's old human zoo under the watchful eye of Holly Blue Agate and Blue Diamond. They were turned away by Yellow Diamond because of their genetic defects. Orange Spinel was permanently assigned to Red while she was rehabilitated into Homeworld and Yellow Diamond's court. Obsidian is still Yellow Diamond's most trusted.

It is now a few days before Garnet first formed.

Now let's go!

***

Freckles paced back and forth across the training room. Three nervous Rubies stood before her.

"You are just Rubies. I should not be training you. But Yellow Diamond said that some special rules need to be enforced for you three, so here we are." One of the Rubies raised her hand timidly.

"What exactly are those rules?" She asked. "Not to be rude or anything, but I have no idea why this assignment should be any different from the rest." The two other Rubies muttered and nodded their heads.

"Because Earth is infested," Obsidian hissed with clear disgust in her voice. "It's infested with rebels who would hurt innocent gems for fun. With gems who hate their own kind. The Earth is infested with the Crystal Gems, the group that shattered Pink Diamond!" Obsidian's hands curled into tight fists as she continued to shout. "Your only job is to protect against the rebel scum and have them shattered! ANY QUESTIONS?!" Freckles felt her chest rise and fall with heavy breaths and tried to untense her body. Silent tears trickled down the Ruby's cheeks.. 

"I'm...sorry," Obsidian whispered under her breath. She cleared her throat. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hate a Diamond shattering planet. I'm sorry that some of you may be shattered as well. I hate that thought - that you might die forever within the day."

"We knew that we were probably going to be shattered. We've known that since we formed!" Another Ruby said in an attempt to be comforting.

"Wha-what?'

"Yeah! Gems get shattered all the time! It's no biggie," Ruby added. "You've probably trained hundreds of gems that are in pieces now!" Freckles blinked in surprise.

"Oh? Oh!" Obsidian shook off any remaining confusion. "Should we get started then?" Instinctively, Freckles turned to look back at Citrus for help before remembering she was no longer here. "Yes. Let's train."

"Your primary objective is to protect mainly Blue Diamond. Your Sapphire can be shattered for all I care, but I have direct orders from Yellow Diamond to give you these instructions. Her Padparadscha Sapphire has predicted an assault on the ship you will be boarding and it is up to you to protect the Diamond with your life."

"Ruby, you're with Ruby, so that leaves me and you to brawl Ruby. Let's train"

With every punch, kick, block and dodge, Freckles tried to clear her head but one thought still remained: you've probably train hundreds of gems that are in pieces now. That would be horrible. Obsidian detested shatterings. Could it be? Could all her precious trainees be gone... forever?