twelve ➵

twelve ➵

the next day at school, liam waited patiently in the courtyard for zayn to arrive. he was used to walking to school wth zayn, but this morning as waited for nearly ten minutes before giving up and headed to school on his own. liam sat on the bench (the wooden one in front of the school office, it was the bench that the pair always sat at) and looked around, trying to find zayn. 

meanwhile, zayn's alarm failed to go off at the correct time and he woke up instead at 7:01am, nine minutes before the first bell at school rang. he jumped out of bed, running into the bathroom and brushing his teeth. his heart was racing from the stress of having to somehow get ready and walk to school in time. after brushing his teeth and washing his face, zayn ran back to his room and threw his shirt off and went to find another. he scowled at the dark red marks on his arms from last night, taking notice of how they stung more this morning. he tugged on a longsleeve shirt and skinny jeans (just like every day) and grabbed his backpack.

the bell had already sounded for first period, makng liam give up on waiting for zayn, as he couldn't afford to be late. liam worried that zayn was hurt or maybe his father had done something (he always had this feeling that zayn's father wasn't the best person. liam tried not to think about it was he sat down in his desk, hoping zayn had made it to school and was safe.

-

zayn arrived at school at 7:34am, 14 minutes after the late bell went off. but, he walked slowly to his first class, as he felt weak from the night before and from having to get ready so quickly. he had to skip breakfast because of the time, making his stomach hurt. o

after being yelled at by his teacher for being late without a reasonable excuse, zayn took a seat in the back of the class. he felt even more like an outcast than usual, he felt as though everyone was staring at him like they new what was hidden under his sleeves. 

-

the rest of the day went  by painfully slow for both liam and zayn. zayn dreaded going to lunch, where liam was always with him. he was that he got out of each class quickly, so he had avoided liam until now. lunch was the only period that zayn couldn't think of a way to escape seeing him. he thought about skipping and staying in the bathroom, and the closer it got to lunch, the better that idea seemed.

so, when lunch came around, zayn walked to the restrooms, deciding to hide out their so he didn't have to face liam. l

liam walked to the cafeteria, hoping that he would see zayn there. unfortunately, zayn was no where in sight. however, he saw jake sporting a not one, but two black eyes and a swollen lip. liam couldn't help but smirk, fairly proud of what he did to jake. liam spent most of lunch eating alone, wishing zayn was with him. he got up soon enough to go to the bathroom, walking out of the cafeteria and into the boys bathroom.

zayn was sat on the floor against the wall by the sinks. he had his headphones in and sleeves up, looking down at the cuts he made on his arms the next before. he sighed, wondering why he had resorted to harming himself. before he even had time to think of a answer, liam walked in.

zayn yanked his shirt sleeves down as fast as possible as he stared up at liam, his stomach dropping.

"zayn." liam said, walking over, "what are you doing?"

zayn looked down and shrugged, wishing he was anywhere but here with liam.

"i've been looking for you all day." liam huffed, stepping closer to zayn. the closer he got, the more zayn seemed to shrink away, making liam stop where he was.

zayn nodded, still keeping his eyes down. liam eventually walked over and sat down next to zayn, making zayn scoot over a bit. zayn hoped liam would notice how he wanted to be alone and leave, but he didn't.

"i'm sorry about yesterday, zayn. i really am." liam said quietly, looking over to his friend. "and i kind of beat jake up after you left."

zayn bit his lip, "you did?" he asked quietly. 

liam nodded, "two black eyes and a swollen lip. of course, i have some damage too. mum already yelled at me."

zayn looked up at liam and scanned over his face, taking in the bruising on liam's face. "i-i thought you stayed because you wanted to hurt me all along.." 

liam stared at zayn in disbelief, "zayn, i would never do that. i'm sorry that i didn't ran after you right away." he apologized, "i tried seeing you after i went home, but your father wouldn't let me in."

zayn looked down, feeling awful over the fact that he thought liam would hurt him like that. "i'm sorry..i-i felt..used because i thought y-you.." zayn took a deep breath, "liam, i did something."

liam raised an eyebrow, "hmm?" 

zayn bit his lip, thinking that he shouldn't tell liam. but he was fast to trust him again, being that he didn't want to lose him in the first place. "i'm so sorry." he whispered, pulling up one of his sleeves to show liam.

liam's eyes went wide as he stared at the many marks on zayn's wrist. his heart clenched as he realized it was all his fault that zayn did this.

"oh, zayn.." liam said softly, pulling him into a hug. "god, don't be sorry. zee, it's my fault, i'm so sorry. this is my fault. please, never do this again."

zayn pulled his sleeves back down, staring at liam. 

"i don't know if i can make that promise."

------

yay chapter twelve (:

hope you enjoyed it

-rylnn xx