fragmented hearts | mattia

IT WAS OFFICIAL: Mattia was the worst friend in the world. He had been so focused on trying to get a rise out of Kairi that he had become blind to the situation at hand: Kairi was hurting. He was fragile and had needed Mattia's support, and instead of giving him that, Mattia had been a dick and nearly kissed the poor boy.

Although Mattia had enough guilt to spare for an army, there was one feeling that he could not throw off: that Kairi had actually wanted to be kissed. That wouldn't have made any sense, though. First of all, Kairi was as straight as they came and second of all, wouldn't Mattia have been the first person that Kairi would've come out to? Mattia would've caught wind of Kairi's sexuality crisis, right? Then again, that boy was far more capable of hiding secrets than Mattia would've ever imagined, so at this point, anything was possible.

Mattia had never really stopped to question his own sexual interests. Of course, he had always been more into women, their curves always drawing him in more than a man's Adam's apple. However, if he really stopped to think about it, he supposed that there were some men that were attractive. But finding men attractive didn't necessarily meant Mattia was gay, right? Not that there was anything wrong with that, but he wasn't blind. He knew when someone was attractive.

For example, Mattia found Kairi attractive. The way that Kairi smirked, the corner of his lips coming up ever so slightly; the way Kairi's laugh sounded, the pitch becoming higher the funnier he found something; the way Kairi's eyes glowed when he was truly happy, as if there was an actual sparkle hiding in his honey colored eyes; the way Kairi was nearly a foot shorter than him, the perfect height for -

Okay, so maybe Mattia liked Kairi more than other boys, but that was only because he knew Kairi so well. He had come to make these observations over the years they had known each other. The two of them spent countless hours together, so it only made sense for Mattia to notice the way Kairi's hair fell or the way Kairi smiled only when they were together.

And even if Mattia did have some deep, dark, hidden feelings for his best friend, then it was about damn time to be honest. They were so close that pretty much everyone thought that they were gay, so they might as well be. Mattia was growing tired of reading all the comments asking about his sexuality or 'here before Mattia comes out!'

Mattia had always declared himself straight for the sake of convenience because how could he explain that his sexuality was more fluid than that? There was nothing wrong with being straight, but sexuality was a spectrum. People loved to put him in boxes, despite how wrong that was. There was no way he would appease everyone, including himself, so he always retreated into the label that society had given him. It's not like it was a lie - he was and would always be attracted to girls, but there was always the chance that he could be and probably was attracted to men.

To be honest, Mattia didn't know why he suddenly had begun a sexuality crisis at the age of 16, but it was bound to come sooner or later - Kairi just sped up the process a little bit. Mattia tried on some labels, but none of them fit right. For now, he would just remain Mattia Polibio, King of TikTok and No Labels.

But Mattia hadn't heard from Kairi for about a week. They had seen each other in school, making dry conversation, but Alejandro would later swoop in and take the smaller boy away. Mattia could feel envy growing in his heart, fear striking it like a gong. He couldn't lose Kairi again, especially not to Alejandro. But Mattia also knew that he couldn't do much about it. If he tried to confront Ale, Kai would no doubt defend him.

What if they had started dating?

Mattia gagged at the thought, Alejandro was the definition of straight. He had a beautiful girlfriend and was a close runner up to Mattia himself on TikTok. No way was Alejandro swinging for the other side. But there was only one way to find out.