he loves me, he loves me not | mattia

MATTIA DIDN'T THINK IT WOULD ever be possible to mend his broken heart. He had finally found his happiness in Kairi, someone that he truly loved, and it had been ripped away from him in a few words. How could someone recover from that, especially after being broken so many times before?

The thing about healing is that it's not merely a journey, it's a destination. One doesn't just heal – they become healed. It's a transformation and a new beginning – one that Mattia is not ready for. He had held on so tightly to the idea of him and Kairi that when it became clear that it was no longer an option, it devastated him. It is, of course, a given that he will come to heal in time. But that is only if he lets himself heal; lets himself let go like Kairi wants. And yet, even though Mattia will do what would make Kairi happiest – let go - he can't help but hang on.

It had been approximately two months since their last fight. Mattia had faded into the background, cut himself off from everyone around him and most importantly: left Kairi alone. He no longer reached out to the boy; no longer sent desperate texts or heartbroken messages. Mattia was exhausted, his broken heart stealing the life from him each and every day. They didn't acknowledge each other in school, their coldness becoming a hot topic in teenage gossip. They both seemingly fell off the Earth, and no one really knew why.

The New Jersey boys had also somewhat fallen apart, no one having the guts to really step up and do anything. It angered Alejandro, the one loyal friend, knowing that neither Roshaun or Alvaro were not willing to help. It was apparent that for them, ignorance was bliss and the less they got involved, the better it would be.

But Alejandro knew better. He had been reaching out to Kairi every night routinely after the incident between him and Mattia, checking up on his friend because Mattia wasn't going to. The fact of the matter was that even though Kairi had been literally sent to the hospital because of a brutal beating, the douchebags who had done that to him didn't stop, especially because of the fact that they were later beaten by Mattia. When they returned to school the day after, their faces riddled with bruises, they only targeted Kairi. Despite the fact that Kairi was being homeschooled, they made it their goal to harass Kairi over the internet on whatever platform they could. They were able to destroy Kairi's resolve in a week, driving the smaller boy to never leave his house for fear of his life. 

One Friday night, Alejandro reached out to Mattia instead, inviting him to the infamous soccer field. Of course, Mattia had resisted at first, knowing that whatever happened on that field resulted in something bad, but Ale had all but dragged the taller boy there. The two of them were standing in the middle of it, huddled in sweatshirts because of the cold weather. 

"You're going to make things right, once and for all," Alejandro stated, his expression daring Mattia to make a mistake, "no more of this bullshit."

"Kairi won't speak to me," Mattia grumbled pitifully.

"Are you really that fucking stupid?" Ale asked incredulously, "that boy loves you."

"He hates me," Mattia insisted, "he did so much as tell me so."

"Then you're stupider than I thought," Alejandro rolled his eyes, "because he literally will not shut up about you."

"What?" Mattia perked up at those words, "what do you mean?"

"It's all 'Mattia this' and 'Mattia that'," Alejandro explained, "he loves you, you fucking idiot."

"Did he tell you about what happened?" Mattia asked softly, shame ridden all over his face, "because I really -"

"Are you deaf and stupid?" Alejandro was growing irritated, "Kairi Cosentino loves you. Of course he told me what you did to him." Mattia didn't say anything, leaving Alejandro to continue.