Chapter Five

A/N: I'M SO OBSESSED WITH SOUL EATER RIGHT NOW I CAN'T EVEN...A DEATH THE KID FANFICTION WILL PROBABLY BE THE NEXT ONE I POST BUT IDK...I just really need help...

Disclaimer: I don't own SNK. You don't need to rub it in...

* * *

"Ha! I was right! Hand over the money, Petra!"

"Hey, no fair! I don't get as much time watching them as you do, it's not a fair bet—"

"Well then you shouldn't have made it! Pay up!"

The two boys woke up to the sound of Hanji cackling and then the snap of a phone camera and a sigh. "Hanji, you know they're going to kill you for that…"

"Whaaa?" Eren mumbled intelligently as he slowly returned to the waking world. Then he realized where he was and shot awake, mortified. The Avengers was on pause on the TV, and he was curled up on Levi's bed, snuggling against the smaller boy, who had an arm wrapped around him from behind while Eren was pressed up against his chest. The two nurses were still arguing.

"It doesn't make any sense for him to be the little spoon, he's so much taller than Levi!" Petra was arguing.

"I told yoouuuu, Levi's the dominant one," Hanji sang, and Eren's eyes widened and he gaped at her in surprise. "Wh—what?"

"Uh-oh, Hanji, I think you broke him," Petra said nervously as she looked at Eren's shocked expression.

"You made bets on which one of us was dominant?" Eren asked incredulously. Levi stirred against him, waking up.

"Well, not exactly…" Petra fidgeted.

"It was in the name of science!" Hanji announced dramatically.

"Hnngh…science?" Levi mumbled sleepily, and Petra, Hanji, and Eren dissolved into fits of laughter.

Levi sat up, rubbing at his eyes sleepily and fixing his clothes that he had worn the day before. Instantly he was hit with all the pain and agony he'd felt over Isabel and Farlan's deaths—why did they have to die and not him?—but then he remembered what he and Eren had done, and a smile spread across his features.

Hanji gasped. "Levi smiled!"

Petra mimicked her gasp, and Eren laughed at them. Then Hanji turned to Levi with a more serious expression on her face. "You, with me. We need to do a couple more CT scans today and a specialist is coming in to look at you."

Levi nodded, and Eren gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before the older boy followed Hanji out of the room. Petra stayed behind, a hand on Eren's wrist as she took his pulse and checked him over.

"How are you feeling today?" She asked him in a friendly way as she looked over his heart monitor. "Any attacks coming on?"

Eren shook his head. "No, I'm actually feeling pretty good. Really good."

Petra smiled at him. "That's amazing. Remember to take your medication—and we're doing another scan today. You were just bumped up a place on the transplant list, and they want to make sure your body's okay before giving you a new heart."

Eren's smile was huge. "Really?!"

Petra nodded, returning his smile with an even more enthusiastic one. "We just have to make sure you're in peak condition, and what with the anniversary coming up…" She hated to remind him, but someone had to, and she tried to break it in the best possible way.

Eren sat back down on Levi's bed heavily, his breathing becoming erratic again. Petra recognized the signs immediately and gasped, amber eyes widening. "Eren! Eren, calm down. It's okay, you just have to calm down—"