Chapter V ✓

CHAPTER V

✽❋✽

I looked off into the rising moon as the rest of the surroundings darkened. It had been a day since the incident with Easton. I had begged to no avail.

I hugged my knees closer to my chest as a breeze swept by. The whispers of the wind were disrupted by the sound of the door opening, followed by voices.

I turned to look into the window in front of the tree branch I was sitting in, watching past the flowing curtains to see Easton walking in, followed by Sean.

"I told you I'm okay Sean, you need to calm down," Easton said, his voice filled with a hint of annoyance.

"But you aren't. Do you need some sort of remedy? Therapy or something. You know I'm right," Sean said, jumping onto Easton's bed.

"Look, I'll get over this," Easton argued, "I'm okay. I'm an Alpha; we move forward."

Sean stayed silent, his shoulders sagging.

"You know they'll be coming after you."

Who will?

"I know," was all Easton answered with.

"They'll strip you of your title."

What?

"I know."

Why?

"They'll destroy the peace."

Easton let out a sigh as he rubbed his face, "I know."

Why was everything a mess? And why wasn't I aware of anything?

"We'll be here for you. We won't betray the pact," Sean said, "you know that, right?"

Easton smiled at his friend, "I know."

Weirdly, a wave of relief rolled through my body, knowing that Easton wasn't alone in this world.

Somewhy it brought me comfort to know he had people who cared for him. He had his friends to look after him.

After a few more assurances that he was okay, Sean finally left Easton's room.

I continue to observe him. I had so many questions. Why him? What was this connection? This familiarity?

As he went to take his shirt off, he froze, then looked up towards me. I blinked at him, and in a millisecond, he closed the window, looked at me, and shut the curtains, sealing away the only sight that gave me warmth in this windy night.

I turned back towards the moon, now higher in the night, and began questioning why?

✽❋✽

That week was followed by similar occurrences, with me lingering around Easton and him ignoring me. I followed him throughout his pack land and watched him sleep at night. Thinking back to it, it sounds quite creepy. But, can you blame a girl? I was simply trying to figure it all out.

It had begun to dawn on me that I was dead. I no longer felt an appetite, touch, or tiredness, well, other than the mental and emotional turmoil I was dealing with within. And as that reality sunk in, I couldn't help but cry myself to sleep with thoughts of regrets and memories of the past.

It was in that condition that Easton found me outside his window. It was a chilly night, or so it seemed with all the howling of the wind, yet I felt nothing. It was for that reason that I was crying.

"Will you please just stop?" asked a defeated voice, making me peek my head out from between my knees and arms. Upon lifting my eyes, I was met with a pair of tired, hazel eyes.

✽❋✽

Miles and miles away...

A meeting was being held. A group of men with evil grins cheered and roared.

"We got them where we want them!" one said by the name of Alpha Anturaj.

The men cheered.

"Your plan worked well, Christopher!" said Alpha Anturaj, patting the back of the man who sat quietly with a subtle grin.

The man huffed and shrugged the hand off, "That's Alpha Malleni to you," he said, as he walked towards the window, "and this is all far from over."

✽❋✽