Dreaming

Chapter 2

"Okay, are you ready? You're going down mothe..."

I cut his phrase by side tackling him. He hits the ground and I get him stuck in a leg lock. He wouldn't be able to get out of this one. I just hope neither of us fart. Our rear ends were too close to each other's faces for gas to be safe.

He taps.

"So what were you going to say Nathan?" I say grinning when we both get up.

He looks down and looks back at me.

"I was going to say that it was a privilege to fight you and I had no doubt of your capacities."

"Yeah, okay."

I hit him playfully making him go a few steps back to keep his balance. It is definitely odd how he has suddenly reintegrated himself in my life. A part of me says that I should shut him out like he did with me, but the other part, the part that is winning for now, is letting curiosity win me over. I need to find out what's changed with him. For now, I focus on using my frustration and very slight anger in my wrestling. 

I am so thankful for the two gym classes per year when we wrestle. 

The teacher whistles. That's our cue to join him and sit in the middle of the gym.

"So welcome to the marvellous centre of sports and physical education," Mr. Sean says, the same way he starts every class.

"So, I'll be pairing you up first, then I'll explain the rules. Good? So Leah and Kim, team number 1, Ali and..."

He continues on naming teams and as always, I'm named last.

"...finally, Zoey and Sam. Team number 16."

We look at each other and do an overexcited sarcastic smile.

"Imma take you down Sam."

"Yeah, whatever, did you not just see me kill Nathan?"

"Pfft, who's Nathan?" she says rolling her eyes.

We both laugh. 

I make sure to tighten my sweatpants, because I really don't want them to fall off.

"Each team mate will place themselves on either side of the mat," the teacher starts. "There is a ball in the middle and when I call your team number, you will crawl on all fours, to the ball, and fight to get it back to your own side."

He blows the whistle.

"Team four!"

Zoey and I gave each other annoyed looks the whole time we were waiting for him to finally call our number. Moments pass when he decides to name us while I decide to fix my ponytail. Zoey gets the ball before I do, necessarily, but I crawl fast and grab her legs right before she gets to her side. I pull them making her fall flat on her stomach letting go of the ball. I fly over her and get it then. I hold it firmly between my arms and chest while holding my pants with one hand not underestimating Zoey's capacities. I crawl rapidly towards my side when Zoey grabs my shoulders and pulls me back, but I still don't let go of the ball. She still holds on to my back when I decide to just roll to my side. Her continuous screams and laughter fill the gym while she clutches to my back while I roll squishing her once every rotation, but she still doesn't let go. I finally get us both on my side. By then, my team is cheering with Zoey and I laughing on the ground.

Our diaphragms hurt a lot.

I need more air.

The teacher and the class are completely mesmerized, shocked and impressed by our work. If someone watching didn't know we were wrestling for class, they could see this as attempted murder.