Trying

Chapter 3

On the school bus, I was facing the window sinking into deep thought. I watched the first snowflakes of the year fall. I always had this thing I never called dreaming or day dreaming, because they aren't dreams, but they are different scenarios I imagine. Beautiful, sad, sadistic and angelic. I've imagined them all with different people around me. There are some scenarios that I wouldn't wish to happen in my life, but if they did, exactly the way I imagined them, I wouldn't mind.

This is not an evil and twisted theory, I try convince myself. I'm not the type to be totally innocent and turn out to be a total psychopath.

But there is something about pain that draws me in. Something about going through pain. Going through life or death situations and living, makes me think I'll be stronger. I feel like someone who is bullied, becomes kinder and smarter. Someone who has been hurt or betrayed is wiser with who they trust. Someone who has been through difficult relationships or has lost someone, all of this makes them tougher, nicer, more immune to the evil this world has to offer and they become the better person. If they choose the right path obviously.

In a way, I am amazed that something so nasty and evil could make someone glow and make them look so much more beautiful. It's a twisted theory, yet one I stand by.

"Hey, Sam," Zoey says poking my shoulder. "You don't want to leave?" she says with a smile. Tanya's lips slowly curve also.

"Lost in thought" I say with a laugh. I spent the whole way looking out and didn't realize we're here.

We get off the bus.

"What do we have first period?" Zoey asks me.

"Gym."

"Amen"

"You've got that right."

We silently walk into the school. Seeing the building reminds me of one thing that would not leave my mind for a while.

Jason pulling the fire alarm.

Thinking about it now, I did realize that he wasn't in class when the alarm was pulled, but since the bell hadn't rang yet and he was with us after, outside, I assumed he was a little late and that he was good. Honestly, I was suspicious of Nathan, seeing him loitering around the school.

I really didn't want Jason, or Nathan, to have anything to do with this. With the new principal and the fake alarm last week, consequences are much more severe this time around. Plus, Jason isn't one to do random stupid things. He must have a reason, if it's him, and I fear it.

Going up the stairs to my locker, I run into my English teacher.

"Hi Rick."

"Hello Miss Rose. Your stories are looking good, for now."

I laugh.

"Okay, why thank you, I guess."

He chuckles and continues on his way downstairs. I continue my way past his now empty class room and to my locker. I take my time organizing my books and putting my bag back. I stand there, in front of my open locker, checking my phone and stalking everyone and anyone on social media. Aaron then passes by me with Jason and another really close friend of theirs, Ross. I don't lift my head up until the very last minute because I always found it awkward when you recognize someone from far and you just have to watch them walk to you before you can speak.

"Hey," he says softly as he walks towards me faster than the two others do. He hugs me.

"Hi, how are you?"