[Chapter 1: Team-Building]

"This testing course was originally created for humans. It emphasizes teamwork. Unlike us, humans need to be taught teamwork." GLaDOS deadpanned as Orange and Blue stepped into the first of their co-operative test chambers. They seemed to know exactly what must be done, and exactly how to do it. After all, they were programmed that way. 

GLaDOS watched them carefully from her chamber, wondering how on Earth the testing could get any more boring. Echo, who was stationed beside her, was watching very silently. She seemed to be interested in the events, but GLaDOS had seen far too much for any of it to be even remotely exhilarating. The fact that the bots knew what to do and did it without question, seemed so... dissatisfying. 

She wasted her time after each test they completed praising them, until eventually, they got used to it, and would wait at the doors for her to say something about their performance before stepping into the disassembly machines. GLaDOS found this behavior quite curious, as it seemed that her actions were altering their programming. 

She noticed also, that the two did not seem to be sharing the weight evenly throughout the exercise. Orange, the more enthusiastic of the two, seemed to be the one solving all of the tests. Blue, on the other hand, was merely following along with her and listening to her plans. "Very good. You've really come together as a team. Thanks to the one of you who appears to be doing all of the work." She commented before moving them along. 

"These tests are potentially lethal when communication, teamwork, and mutual respect are not employed at all times. Naturally, this will pose an interesting challenge for one of you, given the other's performance so far." She hummed, watching through the cameras as Blue seemed to glare up at her. 

Echo glanced over to GLaDOS, questioningly. "Are you insulting him?" The mechanical woman seemed to shrug and tilt her head at the monitor. "It seems to be effective, does it not? It raises questions about how I created them.

"Is this part of your plan?" She asked curiously, watching the bots proceed into the next chamber. GLaDOS noticed that blue looked a little ticked, and observed. "It wasn't originally... But, I feel like it's worth exploring."

As Blue picked up a discouragement redirection cube and held it under a laser, Orange hopped up onto a button. It lowered a shield that allowed him to aim the laser at a row of turrets. He huffed, mechanically, and began burning them up with the laser. 

Echo looked away from the monitor with a tiny squeak. GLaDOS brought a floor panel up to shield the little one from the sight of her comrades being demolished. "What are you doing? YOU MONSTER! They're one of us." She gasped. Almost immediately, Blue dropped the cube. 

GLaDOS laughed gently as the two co-op bots looked to the camera, guiltily. "I'm kidding. Destroying them is part of the test. They are no more important to you than you are to me."

Echo looked distraught and backed away slightly. GLaDOS gave her a sympathetic glance. "Sorry, little one. No hard feelings." She turned back to the monitor and watched as the bots slowly got over their guilt and headed toward the next chamber. "It would compromise the test to divulge individual scores. However, I can tell you at least one of you is doing very, very well. Please continue into the next test chamber."

As she spoke, she could see Blue becoming increasingly angrier at Orange. Orange seemed confused, wondering why he was so upset with her. He gave her a nasty glare as they were disassembled, so that their parts could be transferred into the next chamber. 

"Lady GLaDOS... With all due respect, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?" Echo questioned, cautiously. She tip-toed around angering the boss, but GLaDOS seemed entertained. "Just look at him, Echo. He's angry at Orange for outperforming him. Do you know what that means?" She wobbled back and forth, seeming to try and shake her head with the limitations she had. "It means he's acting a lot like a human would under similar circumstances... He's jealous."