[Chapter 3: Trust and Betrayal]

"Electrocution, shot, drowned, crushed, burned in goo... Oh. Sorry. I was just thinking of all the ways humans can die. You can't die in any of those ways. You just keep testing and testing. With perfect results... And no consequences." GLaDOS deadpanned as Orange and Blue passed through the chamber doors. "Interesting note, I only created this test to watch test subjects fail and you didn't. You must be very, very proud. I'm building the world's smallest trophy for you."

The two had been through quite a bit of testing so far, but they still seemed very upset with each other. GLaDOS, on the other hand, had taken to seeing how creative she could get in sparking responses.

The bots eyed each other when they had gotten through the test, both glaring slightly. Blue's performance did seem to improve since GLaDOS had begun rubbing in how much better Orange was doing, and Orange gave him a slow, hesitant thumbs up. Blue nodded, and the two seemed to have worked it out, stepping into their respective disassembly chambers. 

GLaDOS narrowed her eyes in thought, wondering if she'd rather them fight, or get along. She wanted to see how 'human' the bots could possibly get. 

"The best way to build confidence is to first recognize your insecurities." She told them. "Orange, can you write down all the ways you feel unworthy, ashamed, or inferior?" She asked. Orange looked down in thought for a moment. "On second thought we don't have the time, just look at how much better you are than Blue. Blue, you are very good at being an example.

Blue narrowed his eye plates and Orange gave him a sympathetic pat on the back, shaking her head. So now, she was trying to comfort him? Blue nodded at her and they had their own little conversation in a language of clicks and beeps, before proceeding with the test. They seemed to have mutually agreed to stop trying to outdo each other and work as a team. 

Now that they seemed to have forged what was close to a friendship, GLaDOS thought it would be a lot harder to drag them down. 

The two bots had started working very well together, laughing together at the door after each victory, and stopping to look into the camera and taunt GLaDOS. They had stopped at the end of a particularly challenging test and they commenced in dancing around like a pair of clowns.  

"Do you know who dances around like an imbecile when they accomplish the tiniest little thing?  Humans! That's what you look like right now. You're better than that." She hissed over the speakers, but they continued on, laughing. "Now you're only doing this out of spite, aren't you?"

A few painstakingly long tests later, GLaDOS chimed back in to congratulate them, half-heartedly. "Congratulations on completing that test. But something seems off... I wonder if that dancing has some effect on you? Your test times show you are going too slowly. Maybe you ARE getting human emotions...."

The two had passed through the next course, finally, and GLaDOS had mostly been disregarding them, thinking deeply about something entirely different. "Excellent. I think you have earned a break from the official testing courses." She said, distractedly. The bots looked at each other, puzzled. GLaDOS dropped the bots off into an old factory room, where an office was waiting for them up in the corner of the room. 

"To complete this test, you need to find a set of blue prints. Don't worry, they are of no use to anyone, totally boring and useless." She droned on as they had started sniffing out a way to get into the office. "This is just a thought experiment, just to see how much time you'll waste thinking about these worthless documents. The correct time is zero se- Oh. You've already begun. Good on you."