[Chapter 12: Breakaway]

GLaDOS had spent a few days walking around, getting accustomed to her new body, and she spent little time in her chamber with Echo. Echo also seemed to be handling her new job quite well. Everything in the facility was in working order and all was peaceful. GLaDOS was just glad that she could breathe easy; and glad that she could breathe at all.

She found an old bag in one of the office rooms as she wandered and picked it up, collecting things in it as she went. One of those things happened to be an old journal that one of the scientists had left. The papers were crinkled and stained with age, but it would work. She found a few pens and pencils lying around to go with it, and stored them all in the bag.

She picked up a few potatoes that she'd caught growing along the wall. She was unsure if she needed to eat, but she knew that Corbin might, and she fully intended on taking him with her. Besides, they would be a nice memento to take along with her, in case she decided for some reason that she never wanted to return to Aperture.

No. That was thinking too far ahead. Of course she would return. Everything she ever knew or needed was here. She belonged here, and there was no reason for her to stay away for too long. Sure, she wanted to see what the surface had to offer, but her stay would be temporary. That's what she told herself.

"Ma'am, you've returned." Echo turned, the red optic of her core squinting happily as GLaDOS walked into the chamber with the bag slung over her shoulder and Corbin resting on her other. "Echo, raise the lift to the surface."

Echo blinked at her, tilting her head, and raising the lift. "You're leaving?" GLaDOS smiled. "Just for a little while. I only want to see what's out there. You know. Break away for a moment."

Echo nodded, understanding. After all, she had given the advice. "I will be here when you return. I hope that everything goes well, Lady GLaDOS."

She paused for a moment as she stepped toward the lift, to turn around and smile. "Try Caroline. I think it fits me better."

"Yes, Lady Caroline." Echo responded. GLaDOS, no, Caroline, could hear a nonexistent smile in Echo's tone, as she stepped into the lift and waved. "I'll return shortly." She assured as Corbin crowed, flapping his wings.

The lift rose for what seemed like ages as the petite woman eyed her surroundings. The crow on her shoulder got comfortable, but she looked antsy. She had no idea what awaited her, or what she would see out there, and it excited her.

For the first time, she felt genuine excitement, and she let it show with a tiny squeal as the lift rose to a large, steel door. She danced from side to side, beaming, as the door creaked open.

She expected to see a blinding light, but she did not. Instead, the door seemed to open to a void. The sky was pitch black, and the horizon was a dark brown. "Night..." Caroline observed as she stepped out onto the concrete. Her bare feet touched the ground, cold as ice, and she shivered.

Corbin looked to her and squawked in surprise as she took off running into the wheat field, jumping and cheering. She tripped and fell back into the plush field with hearty laughter. When it had died down, she opened her eyes to the crystal sky, and Corbin landed softly beside her.

"Look at that, Corbin... What a pretty moon..." She sighed, her golden eyes fixed on the white sliver in the sky amongst the stars. It looked as if it were just new moon, and the lunar body was only just becoming visible in the sky again.

Her eyes widened as she stared up at the starry sky. She saw a twinkle of light overhead, shoot across her field of vision. She watched it cross the sky before it disappeared, and smiled. "Why haven't I paid more mind to the night sky? It's amazing..." She whispered, reaching into her bag to pull out her journal and a pencil. In the dim light of the moon, she began to write down everything she saw.