[Chapter 7: Killing Machines]

"I think we've proven at this point that if you scream at a marshmallow, all you get is a scared marshmallow." The bots wandered into their next challenge on their way to save their mainframe. "So let's try positive reinforcement. I am POSITIVE these reassembly machines will break down again soon. Probably while you're in them." Orange nodded slowly at GLaDOS's remark, but it was something of a sarcastic nod, as if to say, 'Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better.'

"Think about that: She doesn't care about you. I don't either, of course. But I'm not trying to permanently kill you. It's a benevolent indifference." GLaDOS droned on. Echo, who was still resting idly beside GLaDOS, looked to her in confusion. GLaDOS knew that Echo was still unaware of the danger they were in, so she kept her statements vague. She turned slowly to her. "Echo, how are the mechanics coming along for... You-know-what?" 

"The machines are hard at work, ma'am. They are closer to creating something resembling your Caroline. All that is left to do is polish her up, and your new body should be in working order." GLaDOS nodded slowly. While she had been busy trying to retake full control of her facility for the past week, she had tasked Echo to oversee the creation of a prototype. She had the labs fully operational, and she was trying her best to create an artificial human. She was curious, now more than ever, about the humans. For reasons unknown to her, she wanted to experience what it would be like to be human... again. 

Of course, her lab created Caroline wouldn't be perfect, but she had other concerns as of late, and building a new body wasn't her priority. "Echo, please go oversee the machines." She requested softly, as the Oracle turret nodded with her body and turned to leave her company. 

While she was speaking to Echo, the bots had made it halfway through their next chamber, and were focused hard on the task at hand. GLaDOS decided that it was time to get focused, too. "You two CANNOT fail." She chimed in, grabbing their attention. "If you do, you will only be hurting yourselves, because it certainly doesn't hurt the madwoman planning to kill all of us."

Her attempt at motivation seemed to have worked, because they continued on, strong, slightly concerned. That was fine. She needed them to be concerned. This was her life on the line. Orange and Blue continued on to the disassembly machines when they were through. "These disassembly machines look even worse than the others. If I don't see you on the other side: thanks for nothing." GLaDOS sighed. 

The co-op bots looked at each other nervously, and proceeded. GLaDOS hoped with all her might that their training wouldn't go to waste. 

When they arrived in the next chamber, GLaDOS grabbed their attention with her uncharacteristic whispering. Her mood was different, and she seemed more irritated, and even more worried than before. Rightfully so, for when the bots had entered the disassembly machines last, GLaDOS had to manually reassemble them, herself, and send them on their way. 

 "She's pressing us hard; It took me three days to reassemble you. I won't be able to do it again. I'd planned to put you through more tests to toughen you up. But now that I can't rebuild you, we're going to have to have to switch to the accelerated program: I hereby pronounce you killing machines. Congratulations."

Orange looked at his taller partner, concerned, but she just cheered at him. He cheered up a little and gained some pep in his step as he followed Orange into the chamber. "This is as close as I could get you. The prototype chassis room's just past this chamber." GLaDOS said softly.