Chapter Fifteen

Lindsay Anna Hembrig was an enigma.

Skylar watched as her sister twirled around the living room in her royal blue dress, hosting a fashion show for their ever-disapproving mother. She hadn't picked either dress this year, and they both knew it hurt her.

Lindsay was gracefully thin and willowy, and her arms and body flowed without hesitation as she danced about. She had the confidence Skylar always lacked, which made her a force to be reckoned with.

They had been waiting on their respective dates to pick them up, just as Skylar noticed Tom's red Jeep Wrangler pull up along the curb. He got out of the car and adjusted the tie he had on, seeming almost nervous. He made his way up the walk, Skylar taking notice of the subtle hint of purple in his otherwise gray tie.

Seconds later, the doorbell rang. She raced to the door, an overzealous Lindsay hot on her tail, hoping for Charlie.

"It's Tom." Skylar sang.

"Anyway, you aren't leaving without a photo sesh." Lindsay wiggled her brow. Skylar's stomach dropped as Lindsay called out to their mom.

"Really?" She muttered under her breath as Carol rushed to grab the camera. Skylar grimaced as she opened the door for Tom. When he saw her, his cheeks flushed red and he cracked a smile.

"Hi." He said shyly.

"Hi," she blushed.

"Okay, come on. The heat's on!" Carol ushered them in.

"Sorry, we have to take pictures." Skylar laughed uneasily. Tom leaned down to whisper in her ear and kissed her in the cheek.

"You look beautiful." He said, his mouth dangerously close to her neck. She inhaled sharply as her stomach dipped, wanting him to kiss her again.

"Skylar, act like you're interested, please. These are going in your scrapbook!" Her mom shouted. Tom chuckled, and the two of them posed for what felt like twenty minutes.

"Okay, Mom. Homecoming will be over by the time we get there at this rate." Skylar reached out to the camera to block her face from any more photos. After finally convincing her to let them go, she hurried outside with Tom in tow.

Stepping of the porch, Skylar stopped in her tracks as they heard a car racing down the street before the driver rolled through the stop sign and pulled up to the curb. The car nearly rocked as the brakes were slammed abruptly. After a moment, a ruffled Charlie appeared from the vehicle, and he aggressively closed the door behind him. Skylar gripped onto Tom's arm, unsure of him. She could feel him tense under her touch.

Charlie acted as if he hardly noticed the two of them, brushing past them as he headed for the door. He had an undesirable odor to him, like he'd slept in his homecoming clothing.

"Eplin." Tom said, an unnerving calmness to his voice. The disheveled boy turned around and shrugged his shoulders. Skylar noticed he had what resembled a fresh black eye.

"Lindsay inside?" He muttered. Skylar nodded her head unnecessarily, as he was already making his way back to the front door.

"Be careful, man." Tom called out, but it was ignored and Charlie knocked on the door. "I didn't realize Charlie was friends with your sister." Tom mumbled, nearly inaudible. Skylar stared after Charlie, unsure of what to say. From what she knew, Lindsay and Charlie weren't close, and it was almost luck-of-the-draw that got them together for homecoming.

"Let's go." Tom said to Skylar, his sweet demeanor replaced with tension. He headed for his Jeep, opening Skylar's door for her. His eyes were distant as he closed the door behind her. She couldn't peel her eyes from the front window, watching Lindsay race her mom to answer the door. When she opened it, Skylar watched her face go from elated to worried. Lindsay shouted something at her parents, before she hurriedly closed the door behind her. Tom pulled Skylar from her thoughts as he opened the driver door.