Chapter 12

"RIKER!!!"

He looked at me, like I was crazy.

I gave him a glare.

"What do you want help in now?" he asked.

"This!"

I showed him my problem. He sighed and looked at me with pity.

"What?" I asked, glaring at him.

"Why are you so terrible at maths?" he asked.

"Shut up!" I said, smacking him with my textbook.

"Look, it's easy. Just multiply 27 by 9, and you'll get the answer. What's so hard?"

"Oh, thanks!" I smiled.

He rolled his eyes and went back to his work. 

See, he had come over to help me do today's classwork and homework. So far, we'd done English and Geography. We were stuck on Maths. And by we, I mean me! I've never been good at this stuff.

Uhhh, who the hell invented Algebra? I wanna go back in time and kill him before he invents it.

So anyways, I wanna hang out, whereas he just wants to get the work done. Wow, today we're complete opposites. I groaned and flopped on my bed.

"What's wrong now?" he said, looking at me.

"Nothing!" I groaned, changing sides, looking towards my balcony window.

I need to clear my mind!  

I rolled off my bed and went out onto my balcony, breathing in the fresh air of Denver.

I heard Riker coming up behind me. He came up and put both arms on the balcony barrier. 

"Come on! You have to do the work!" he said, looking at me.

"But it's so hard!" I whined.

"You sound like a kid." he chuckled.

"Whatever!" I complained, crossing my arms around my chest and pouting.

"Aw, don't be like that!" he whined.

I stuck my tongue out at him and looked away.

Then, I was being lifted off my feet. Because Riker had just picked me up.

"Stop doing that!" I complained.

"You know, it's cute seeing you whine when I lift you. I should do it more often from now on. What do you think?"

"I think you're a jerk!"

"Don't say that! I know you love me." he grinned.

"Sure! Think what you want." I said, averting my gaze to... anything but his face.

"Come on! Who doesn't love their friends?" he asked.

"I know someone!" I answered.

"Who?"

"My dad!"

"Really?" he said, letting me down.

"Yup, he doesn't like his friends and wishes he didn't have any."

"Wow, that's sad." he pouted.

"I'm so thankful I'll never follow that old man's footsteps." I said, happily.

Riker's expression darkened. "You know, you should be thankful you at least have a dad. That he hasn't done anything wrong yet!" 

I looked at him worriedly.