Chapter 23

Sadly, after going to the hospital, my father never made it out alive. The doctors said that he lost too much blood. He died 5 hours after I got the news of where he was. I didn't even get to see his face one last time.

Right now, we were having his funeral, where everyone wanted to give a speech. Everybody went on one by one, giving speeches in his regard. I chose not to give one, as I could barely find my voice. I hadn't said a word all day. 

Even Riker came, invited by (believe it or not) my mom. She thought since we're close, I might want someone to talk to.

Right now, I was standing under a shady tree, watching people go by. All had the same expressions: sullen and depressed. It was heart shattering to see them. 

Riker came up to me, all in black. Even with no smile, he was the most dashing boy I'd ever dated. I managed a weak smile and he responded the same way.

"Hey," he whispered, grabbing my hand. "How are you?"

"As depressed as ever." I said, finally managing to find my voice.

"Want some company?" he asked.

I nodded and slid down onto the floor. He sat down after, sliding an arm around my shoulders. I leaned into him and shut my eyes. 

"You haven't told your mom yet?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"It's all right," he assured. "Maybe some other time."

After a long moment of silence, I spoke up.

"Aren't you gonna say something?" I asked.

No response.

I opened my eyes and stared up at him. He was looking at something in the distance. I followed his gaze and saw my mom standing there. There was a really, really, good looking man standing next to her. She wore a smile and nodded politely at him. Suddenly, that man pulled her into a hug. And then, I saw something that was utterly unforseen and repulsive.

He kissed her!

My mouth hung wide open, and I forgot to shut it. I looked at Riker and his expression showed how surprised and disgusted he was, like me. 

I just couldn't believe it. My mom! Having an affair with someone else! The day my father reaches the heavens. I can't believe her!

I felt outraged, and I wanted to throw up. Instead, I burst into tears. My world had completely shattered. My mom was cheating behind my father's back. And now, at his funeral, she making out with another dude. 

"Luna, are you alright?" 

I looked at Riker, but the sight was blurred because tears kept coming out nonstop. I shook my head and got up. He got up after me and took my hand in his. 

"Come on." I said.

"Where to?"

"To confront my mother, or whoever she is." I answered.

I headed to where my mom was standing, dragging Riker behind me. When she saw me coming towards her, she gaped at me. The man stared at me with shock.

"Hello, mother." I said, putting an emphasis on mother.

"H-honey," she stammered. "H-how a-are you h-holding up?"

"Save it, I know what you were doing!" I yelled.

"Shh!" Mom said, putting a finger to her lips.

"I don't care how loud I am," I screamed furiously. "I want everyone to know what a cheating whore you are!"