year three; of creatures and smacks

The two secret friends didn't have a lot of time left until summer, and they wanted to spend it in each other's glad company, now that the basilisk was killed, Hermione was awake, and Draco stopped allowing prejudices dictate his friendships. They decided it would be better to figure out what their friendship meant and hash out any grievances or problems that needed solving over the summer months instead. 

What we had last year was good. If you aren't ready to tell everyone, I'm okay only meeting in our hiding spot. It's no secret that Ron and Harry don't like you, and I'm sure there's little praise of me from your friends. I will admit, while at first I found it very uncomfortable to speak poorly of you, now it amuses me. It's like an inside joke, and only you and I are in on it. 

Anyways, I just wanted to reassure you that nothing really has to change if you are not comfortable, I still want to be friends. I understand that you are under pressure from your family and friends, but I am a patient person and I don't ask for much – just your friendship, no clauses or conditions. 

Love, Hermione

Draco almost cried. No conditions? Where did this girl come from, and why in Merlin's name did he choose to let her go? Never again, he promised himself right there where he sat on the floor of his bedroom. As long as she is willing to be friends, I will never let her go again.

***

Having decided to return to their original ways of 'secret friendship,' Hermione and Draco met in the hidden back corner of the library every day. This year they had more fun with it, Draco calling insults at her as they passed in the halls waiting to see how she would respond. She never disappointed.

With third year came more electives, and Care of Magical Creatures was a class Draco wasn't sure about. It was interesting learning about them from books, but he was weary about being around actual animals.

"It should be fun," Hermione tried to comfort his unease. "And Hagrid is the teacher, so it'll be an easy workload."

"But," he countered, pointing his quill at her. "That stupid textbook nearly shredded my arm when I tried to open it. I don't fancy dealing with that every time I want to study. Plus," he added. "Hagrid is also close with you and your friends and by default will coddle you all." She rolled her eyes and reminded him that they were her friends and he didn't have to say it like that.

"Besides, we have it tomorrow, it's not like you have much longer before you find out."

She was right, but, "If I don't like it, I'm stuck with it all year." She just shrugged and told him that it wouldn't be the worst thing to drop a class. How hypocritical! She knew perfectly well that is something neither of them would ever do. Look at her with her time turner, he scowled. 

Funnily enough, the textbooks were the first obstacle they faced.

"How?" Draco cut in when they were told to open them. The so-called teacher didn't seem to understand. "How do we open our books?"

"Hasn't – hasn't anyone been able to open their books?" The man looked like he was about to cry. "You've got to stroke them, look-" he proceeded to grab Hermione's book to give a demonstration.

"Oh, how silly we've all been," mocked Draco. "We should have stroked them. Why didn't we guess?"

Hagrid turned to Hermione, as of asking her opinion. "I – I thought they were funny..."