Chapter 17: Smelled The Smell Out Of The Smell

J U L I E T

"Hey, thanks for picking me up," I hop into Chase's truck.

"My pleasure," he smiles as we begin to drive to the fair.

After a minute of him awkwardly staring at me, I ask. "What?"

He snaps out of it, his brown eyes averting as he runs his hand through his dark blonde hair. "You look really good tonight."

"Thank you," I hide the rising warmth in my cheeks by looking away.

Soon, one of my favorite songs by Selena Gomez starts on the radio and I begin to faintly sing along.

"Gonna wear that dress you like, skintight." I hum and Chase's grip on the wheel tightens.

After a few lines, I join back in, lost in my own world. "Let me show you how proud I am to be yours, leave this dress a mess on the floor."

My thoughts wander to Axel and I immediately reprimand myself for the dirty thoughts.

Chase lets out a small cough, sitting a little straighter.

"Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yeah." His voice is hoarse.

"Sure?"

"Mhm." His voice is a little squeaky now, weird.

With that we pull into the parking lot and head to the fair.

***

As he begins to help the group we're assigned to, I check on all the documentation of the groups.

Chase was assigned to the kissing booth while all my friends were assigned to the Ring Toss booth.

I reach the Ring Toss booth and Axel becomes stiff. Yay, we're not awkward at all.

And what was with him today before I left? He was mad at me for no reason.

"Have you ever smelled something so much that you smelled the smell of the smell?" Mason asks Heath.

"Dude! All the time. Especially with my new soap!" Heath replies animatedly and Scar mouths to me, 'save me'.

"Hi." Axel drawls.

"Hey."

We stare at each other awkwardly as I soak in the simple white t-shirt and low-cut jeans he's wearing. The t-shirt is light and flatters his lean muscles.

"Booth ticket and permit?" I ask and Scar pulls it out.

"Alright," I check the documents, leaving them to it.

"See you around." Axel stuffs his hands into his pockets.

So glad to see things weren't awkward. I mean we could continue to be friends for the rest of our lives if it came down to it.

***

Remember when I said I was okay with being friends with Axel? I lied.

As I watched Emily, my classmate, flirt with Axel, I was dying.

She touched his arm as they laughed.