Chapter 28: Not That Kind Of Position, Though

S C A R

"You're cheating," Jenny accuses me playfully when I keep on beating her at pool, nudging me in the shoulder.

"I've had years of practice." Yeah like 90 years, but we don't have to tell her everything.

"So what's your favorite memory from foster care?" I ask her, we'd been talking for the past hour or so and she told me she's very comfortable addressing it as a foster home.

"Once, they took us out to the park and I had a cupcake for the first time with all the money I had been saving. Best day of my life," she gives me a real, genuine smile.

And can I just say, I should make her smile more often.

"How old were you?" I ask.

"15," she replies and my mouth falls open.

"You never had a cupcake before that?"

She gives me a small sad smile, this time. "Not everyone can afford the luxuries you have."

She didn't sound judgemental or jealous or rude. Just honest. And quite frankly, that seemed worse.

To change the mood, she speaks up.
"I'm usually good at this," she proclaims. What lies.

I laugh lightly, something I unfortunately can't seem to stop doing around her.

"Come here, I'll show you my tips and tricks," I wink at her.

We'd been flirting all night. Why not, we both wanted to have fun and she seemed to be returning the favor.

Amused by my bold statement she walks over under the dim lighting.

"Should I be cheesy and keep you under me as I show you the magic?" I joke and she arches an eyebrow.

"If you've got the balls, Adams, feel free."

I widen my eyes in slight surprise but am quick to tug her closer and get her in position.

Not that kind of position, though. Even though I wouldn't mind that.

Lord, my mind.

I place my arms over hers, getting ready for my turn.

"Let's make a small bet," I say softly into her ear, feeling the heat of her body on mine. "If I get at least 2 balls in, you take the jacket off."

She smirks, turning to face me, our faces not an inch apart as we're crouched in this position, her hazel eyes looking nostalgically familiar.

"If you get the red one in, I'll let you take it off."

I have to get the red one in! I have more than enough incentive now.

With a simple movement of my hand, the red and yellow balls fall right where I want them.

Impressed, Jenny gets up from beneath me, causing me to straighten up. She lightly spreads her hands.