Episode Twenty Four

Steve wasn't lying

Steve wasn't lying. The house party was a long ass drive. I held firm to Justin's warmth while the air grew colder as we rode up the mountain. At one point, my hands got so cold I said 'fuck it' and stuffed my hands into the pocket of Justin's hoodie.

Justin's abs tensed under my touch before he rubbed one hand over mine. Thankful that he was okay with my invasion, I tightened my embrace.

A few minutes later, we pulled down a dirt road and stopped at the end of a long line of parked cars.

I grinned when I spotted Tyler's Challenger and Lucas's black truck parked near the front.

"Holy shit! It's cold up here." Climbing off Justin's bike, I rubbed my arms, trying to warm up. "Why didn't you tell me to bring a heavier jacket?"

Justin chuckled as he removed his helmet. "Lucky for you, I brought something to help you out."

Fumbling with my helmet strap, I huffed in irritation. "My fingers are frozen. It's not even winter yet. Do you ride that thing around in the snow? Because there's no way I'm riding on your bike in winter. There has to be a better way. What do I have to do? Draw a big warm truck in my journal and hope that you dream of it?"

One corner of Justin's lips tipped up as he caught my trembling fingers, calming me. "We'll figure something out. Maybe I'll show you what I want and see how you feel about that. I promise it won't be a death machine, even though I love the hell outta my bike."

"I know, right? The motorcycle was an awesome idea when I saw it in Florida, but it's always warm there." I chuckled.

"Here. Let me see what you got going on." Justin released my cold hands, tilting my chin up with one knuckle to unlatch my helmet.

I studied his spiky hair as he worked. It was a little messed up, but somehow his hair was still sticking out in perfect, crazy directions. "What the hell do you put in your hair? Liquid metal? Because damn, it's still perfect and you've been wearing a helmet for the last forty-five minutes."

Justin vibrated with laughter as he removed my helmet. "How do you always make me laugh?"

"It's a gift," I used my cocky voice. "But you didn't answer my question. For real, what do you use? Superglue?"

Justin turned to open his bike compartment and grabbed something before stashing our helmets. "No. It's just the stiffest gel on the shelf. I could legit sleep with my hair like this, and wake up with it still looking the same."

"Really? There's something really wrong with that." I smirked and crossed my cold arms. "How am I ever gonna be able to touch your spiky hair if I'm afraid it'll stab me?"

Justin spun to face me. His expression was dead serious as his eyes flamed bright gold. "You wanna touch my hair?"

My cheeks warmed under his intense stare. Suddenly feeling self-conscious, I shrugged as my gaze fell to the ground. "I mean... yeah. Someday."