Episode Twenty Five

"Hey, you guys are here!" Steve welcomed us when we walked through the front door

"Justin!" A guy yelled over and over from the back of the room in a hooting tone.

"Justin's here? Where?" A girl hollered over the music.

Guys backhanded their oblivious friends while girls whispered until they all turned to see us. Like dominoes, the crowd spread the news of Justin's arrival until every person zeroed in on us.

Justin released my hand and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, hugging me close.

Wrapping my arms around his waist, I realized that every person in the room had literally stopped what they were doing, and most were utterly shocked.

Yep, take us in, people. The most popular guy in school, once deemed unattainable, just walked in with Ember Pearl, the new girl. And, not only was he holding me close, but I was also wearing his crew's sweatshirt.

Needless to say, most of the shocked females quickly transformed into green-eyed monsters. It was the envious glares that brought me back to reality. Now, this was something I was used to. I could wrap my head around mean girls. Their anger was normal territory.

Justin didn't respond to the hoots of appreciation. In fact, he didn't engage with anyone at all or even seem annoyed by the massive amount of staring people as he scanned over the room, looking for someone.

Justin dipped his head, speaking only loud enough for me to hear. "Welcome to my life."

His comment took me by surprise. I found it oddly hilarious as I began laughing. "Oh, my God. This sucks. I'm getting it now."

"It happens every time. They can't help themselves." Justin squeezed my arm as he laughed with me, tugging me closer.

My smile landed on Steve. "So, did you give my room away, or do you still have one left?"

Steve pushed up his glasses as he sent me a wide grin. "Yeah, I saved it. I knew you'd show. I know a partier when I see one, and you're a partier. Come on. I'll show you around."

I smiled at Justin, tugging him along for the grand tour. He grinned and followed me willingly as the crowd parted for us.

"So, this is the main floor, obviously." Steve swept a hand toward the massive room we were already standing in before leading us past the stairs into the kitchen. "And this is drink central."

A crowd of people surrounded the keg, laughing.

A familiar black mohawk caught my attention among some guys talking in a tight circle. Feeling my assessment, green eyes began to glow before they found me. Scanning me from head to toe, his eyes began to shimmer at the sight of their signature hoodie keeping me warm.

I smiled and waved.

Lucas waltzed over to us with a red cup in hand. "Hey, Gorgeous. I'm glad you came. Want me to get you a beer?"