Chapter Thirteen: Oh, Higgsss...

-Higgs' POV- "Did you think you could hide from me, Higgs? I've been looking everywhere for you." Sam laughs, teleporting right behind me. He grabs me from behind by wrapping his arm over my chest and gripping my shoulder. I try to struggle, but his hold is strong. "Oh, no, no, no." He whispers in my ear. "You're not leaving. There's some things I need to share with you."

He licks my cheekbone while laughing. I nearly slip off the concrete slab to stand. "Get..off!" I snap, seeing his bloodshot eyes staring at me from the corner of my eye. "Why are you here? I thought Homo Demens weren't supposed to be in the city!"
"Oh, my group isn't supposed to. No, not them. But me? I can go wherever. I decided to check up on you." He finally lets me go, walking calmly to face me, grinning.

"Aw," His raspy voice is full of mock sympathy. "Did I get a little too close for comfort?" I rub the area where he licked me, face twisted in disgust. "Well? Share your info. I don't have all night." I mutter through gritted teeth. Sam frowns, yawning. "You," he points at me. "are no fun."
"You little shi—"
"Ah, ah, ah..." he taunts, waving his finger at me before pressing it firmly against his lips. "You wouldn't wanna say a naughty word with your little baby on you? Hm? Don't want her catching on and saying them for herself, now do we?" He scolds.

"What do you want?" I say tensely.
"Let me get straight to the point." He says, walking a few steps forward. He grabs my shoulder, forcing me to lean forward. "Why are you working for these useless bags of flesh?" He demands. "You could be working for me instead. I know you have a high level of DOOMS. I could taste it on you." His voice is low, almost raunchy. "Oh...God...It tasted...so...delicioussss..." he drags the s in delicious like that of a snake. I shove him away. He staggers back, eyes full of surprise, then laughs.

"You could always join me," he says. "The Homo Demens need new members and you fit the bill perfectly." With that said, he licks his lips and teleports away, leaving me standing there in shock.
****
I stare at myself in the mirror of my private room. My blue eyes are wide, clean hair a mess, and my skin is ashy. I grip the sink tightly, trying not to throw up. I'm shaking....

Nava is oblivious to all that went down, calmly floating in her pod on the wall. I splash cold water on my face, trying to wash my anxiety away. I see Sam standing behind me in the mirror, placing his hand on his lips and shushing, grinning as he does so. I gasp, whirling around. He isn't there.

I'm seeing things. "Maybe I should just sleep." I jump at my own voice. It sounds dry, different.
Like it's not me speaking. I splash my face one more time, letting out a shaky breath.

Deadman told me that the room has its own built in music player. I walk over to the large map of the U.S on the wall and select the music player.
I pick a random song and sit on my bed, listening.
(Play music video here.)
(My old man is a bad man. But I can't deny the way he holds my hand. And he grabs me, he has me by my heart. He doesn't mind I have a Las Vegas past.)

I find myself tapping my foot on the floor. My uncle never let me listen to music. Said it rots your brain. But this sounds good. (He doesn't mind I have a L.A crass way about me. He loves me with every beat of his cocaine heart.) (Song abruptly stops as the power flickers.)

I huff in annoyance, wanting to listen to the rest.
Nava remains asleep, not bothered by the power.
I sigh, laying back and drifting into an uneasy sleep, the lyrics to the song looping in my head.