Chapter 35: Flustered

As the cool autumn breeze sneaks in through one of the windows on the side walls, a girl offers a boy to play video games with her

As the cool autumn breeze sneaks in through one of the windows on the side walls, a girl offers a boy to play video games with her. The whispering of the wind seem to tell the boy, go on, don't be scared, show her what you've got!

Nishikata gulps, then nods in response to Takagi.

A smile quickly formed on her face, lighting her complexion. She pushes her crutches aside on the carpet, leaving room for Nishikata to sit. Takagi hands over another controller, then grabs one from the cabinet.

"Okay," she says in a teasing tone, "But let me warn you, I'm pretty good at this."

The game starts soon, and the two of them begin to press nonstop on several buttons. The rage, the laughter, it was as if during that moment, only the two of them existed in this world.

Mira peeks upstairs since she hears the commotion and giggles from the room. After seeing them so absorbed into the game, she chuckles to herself, "Maybe I'll let you guys have some more alone time, you better thank me later, Takagi-chan~" She rushes down the stairs, and sat herself down on the couch, grabbing a bag of honey barbecue chips and watched some TV.

The boy was so focused in this game that he didn't realize how much fun he was having. He was getting so much kills and xp points.

"Yes! Yes! Gotcha!... Did you see that, Takagi-San?" Nishikata yells with so much excitement, Takagi stops and stares admirably at him, grinning cheekily, wondering if she could just freeze time, and just watch him so happily.

Realizing that Takagi wasn't playing, Nishikata glanced over, and met Takagi's cheerful brown eyes. He averted his gaze, and asked, "Takagi-San, is your leg going to be okay tomorrow?"

"I don't know, my mom will probably drive me to school, and I'll wear my crutches to get around at school..." Her eyes land on the white crutches, sighing.

"Maybe I can help you with carrying your stuff...if you'd like." Nishikata suggested, grip loosening on the controller.

Her eyes glistens a spark of hope, "You'd do that? That would be wonderful. Thank you, Nishikata."

Immediately Nishikata felt a flush of redness on his cheeks, he bit his lips, and muttered about needing to go to the restroom.

"It's the first door on the right!"

The door shuts, and Takagi sprawled on the carpet, covering her rosy cheeks. Her heart beats fast, and her smile couldn't get any bigger.

"Happy much? What did he do?" Mira sings, opening the door to reveal embarrassed Takagi.

"No...it's just..." Her voice was so tiny, that only the carpet could hear.

"Well, you better thank me for bringing him here huh? What a great wingman I am, or wingwoman."

Seeing Takagi this flustered was a rare moment for this childhood friend, she giggles and takes her silence as a gratitude.

"You guys keep playing, I'll be downstairs watching some shows. Call me if you need anything." She starts to walk outside, but Nishikata came back.

"Mira? Where were you, we were playing games, do you wanna join?" He looks inside, and sees Takagi on the carpet laying down.

"Yeah yeah, I'm good. I'm terrible at these anyway. You and Takagi-Chan play. I bet you she's loving it, since she hasn't found a worthy opponent yet!" Mira chants good luck as she skips down the stairs.

Nishikata stares at Takagi, "Are you okay?"

Takagi quickly gets up, and nods slightly. She feels obligated to speak, since it might reveal her sudden shyness. Why is she the one feeling shy now? She wondered.

The two of them played a few more games, then called it a day. Turns out Mira ate the whole bag of chips, which Takagi didn't mind. As they were about to exit the house, Takagi grabs Nishikata's hand.

"I just wanted to say thanks, for visiting me when I was feeling ill. Thanks Nishikata." She gave him the usual smile, which activated Nishikata's flustered mode. Mira caught this, and winked at Takagi, who nervously grins back.

The chatters of the wind die down, as night is coming to a start. Takagi looks up at the cloudy sky, and wonders if she will ever be able to tell him, without him thinking it's all a joke.