2. Are You Prepared?

It's me again God,

As the early morning sun pours in my window, I am thankful for this time of the year —a time of preparation for celebrating Jesus' birth! There's just something so special about the weather as we head toward Christmas. It signifies a new season and there's something truly incredible to celebrate!

You always knew that eventually, people all around the world would celebrate the coming of Your Son. The news spread so quickly when Jesus' disciples took on the Great Commission. Taking the Good News to all the world was something they took seriously and I'm so thankful for all who came after them, so I would hear it too!

Thank You for the four gospel accounts by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John which give me four eyewitness views of the Good News. It was such amazing news that Your Son was coming to earth — You even sent a man to prepare the way for His arrival! That man was John the Baptist and he was rather special too!

In Luke's account of the events leading up to Jesus' birth, it's interesting to read about John's parents, Elizabeth and Zechariah:

"Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commands and decrees blamelessly. But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old."
‭‭Luke‬ ‭1:6-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

But God, You had plans for them, even in their old age! You had a very important task for them to do, so You sent an angel to Zechariah to explain:

"Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.""
‭‭Luke‬ ‭1:11-17‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Sure enough, Elizabeth did become pregnant and gave birth to a son. He grew into the man who fulfilled Isaiah's prophecy to prepare people for Jesus' ministry among them:

"The beginning of the good news about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God, as it is written in Isaiah the prophet: "I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way" — "a voice of one calling in the wilderness, 'Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.'""
‭‭Mark‬ ‭1:1-3‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Preparation is always important at this time of the year, but this was indeed a very special time of preparation!

"And so John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. And this was his message: "After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.""
‭‭Mark‬ ‭1:4-8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord it's timely that I should read these passages today as I need more than ever to be prepared to tell others about Jesus. John was telling people of Jesus, the One who would come and would be even more powerful than he was. I too need to remind people that Jesus came and is coming again! One day He will be seen, coming on the clouds:

"This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."
‭‭Acts‬ ‭1:11‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Lord help me to be prepared:

"Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction."
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:2‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I have the best news to share and I am prepared to pass it on!

In Jesus' Name and for Your glory,
Amen.