7. True Light

It's me again God,

One of my favourite things about the Christmas season are the beautiful lights that festoon people's homes! Each year, sightseers flock to see the streets where every home owner has gone all out to create a Christmas wonderland! The displays seem to get bigger and brighter every year as increasingly more time and money is spent on achieving the very best outcome.

Lord I was just reflecting on our modest sprinkling of lights which simply remind me of the light You brought into the world through Jesus. Sadly, it seems that the more focus there is on Christmas light displays, the less focus there seems to be on the One who came into the world to bring light —the One who was the Light!

I love John's simple but profound description of Jesus at the beginning of his gospel account:

"In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."
‭‭John‬ ‭1:4-5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You Jesus for coming into the world to be the light of all mankind! There are no communities left out! Your light shines in this dark world —a beacon of hope which can never be extinguished! Jesus we know that because You triumphed over death by rising from the dead, You won the victory over Satan. Help me to remember this today as our world is still so affected by the ravages of sin. There are so many who don't know You and even Christians who don't understand the victory they have through You. Thank You that darkness will never overcome me because I am Yours!

Father, John highlights the way that Your Son was the 'true light'. He emphasises that even though He came as a baby, fulfilling prophecy that a Saviour would be born, many people did not realise who He was:

"The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."
‭‭John‬ ‭1:9-13‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It's so sad that this Christmas, many people will celebrate but not recognise You! This whole wonderful world was made by You and still people are blind to Your light! Jesus You came to be the Light to God's own special people but most basically just rejected You! I am so thankful for the fact that all who believe and accept You as their Lord and Saviour are adopted by Your Father. Thank You that we can celebrate Christmas as part of Your family —born of God!

Heavenly Father, I thank You that it is not Your intention for anyone to walk around in darkness. I pray that Christians everywhere will boldly talk about the Light of the world, the 'true light' who came as a baby in a manger.

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.""
‭‭John‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

I pray that many will see Your Light Jesus and come to You so they will never walk in darkness again! Please help me to remember that as Your child, with Your Holy Spirit in me, I am a light to those around me:

""You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:14‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Today I will shine for You!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.