9. The Lord is With You

It's me again God,

I love taking time to slow down at this time of year when the pressures of the Festive Season are ramping up. It's so easy to get caught up in the race to get the best gifts and have the pantry filled with all the traditional Christmas treats, that throughout the day, Bethlehem seems so far from my mind!

The prophet Micah spoke of the town of Bethlehem as the place where Jesus would be born:

""But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.""
‭‭Micah‬ ‭5:2‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Mary was pregnant but not living in Bethlehem so how could this prophecy be fulfilled? Being in the right place at the right time is something that's often seen as being a coincidence but as I read more of the events of the first Christmas from Luke's account, it's clear that You definitely had planned it all!

"In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to their own town to register.

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child."
‭‭Luke‬ ‭2:1-5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

It's so evident that Your hand was there, even influencing great rulers in history with the timing of a census! Your timing is always perfect Lord and Your hand of protection was clearly over this young couple as they set out on a journey which was about 80 miles (128km)!

Your Word doesn't mention the mode of transport used but most people speculate that Mary travelled on a donkey. All we know is that the journey may have taken up to a week and this must have been very uncomfortable for a pregnant woman to endure! I'm sure during the long trip Mary must have often thought of the angel's words to her:

""Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.""
‭‭Luke‬ ‭1:28‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Your favour was upon this young woman who carried Your precious Son! I'm sure Mary could testify to the many ways she was reminded that You were with her. I imagine that particularly during the evenings as they rested, Mary would have been aware of Your Son moving within her. This is always a very precious thing for a mother to be —it's a wonderful assurance that everything is alright. How extra special it must have been for Mary because this wasn't just an ordinary baby kicking her ribs but Your only Son! So much was ahead for the young mother to be but she didn't need to be afraid, instead just trust that You would be with her!

Thank You for all the details that Luke includes in his account and the ones he doesn't! Lord I don't need to know everything, only that everything happened according to Your plan! Thank You that You have a plan for my life and I can completely trust You!

Sometimes things in my life can seem quite difficult, akin to a week long journey during the end of a pregnancy! Help me to remember to keep my eyes on You during these journeys, knowing that because of Jesus' death and resurrection, I too walk with Your favour! Your grace is sufficient for me and Your Holy Spirit is with me always!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.