8. Home

It's me again God,

Thank You for a place to call home, a safe place to rest in the midst of a community that is getting increasingly busy —especially as Christmas draws near! As I look out of my window to the view which is dotted with various dwellings —houses on small blocks of land and in the distance, apartment blocks, I pray for those who have no place to call home at this time. Please help me to show them the love and generosity they need as they seek to find somewhere to live.

We are all only here on this earth for such a short time and yet such a lot of our time seems to be taken up earning money to buy or rent a home! In the country where I live, a great deal of time and money is spent on continuous home improvements where new interior designs are tried out as well as regular upgrades, in order to have the latest look for the exterior of the home. Bigger and better homes are made and many people even invest in the property market, buying multiple properties in various locations. I sometimes get the impression that for many people, this is a sign that they have made it in life! However, their eyes are on temporary things and they certainly won't be able to take them into eternity!

When Jesus came to dwell among us for a short time, did He have an impressive home to live in? Did He focus his thoughts and all of his time on a building? He wasn't even born in an impressive place! The important thing was that He came:

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."
‭‭John‬ ‭1:14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Such beautiful words Lord! Jesus, the Word, took on human form and dwelt among us. None of the gospel accounts speak of the house Your Son grew up in. That obviously wasn't important! John's eyes were on other things! Here he speaks of seeing Jesus' beauty and magnificence, His glory as Your precious, truly unique, one-of-a-kind Son —full of grace and truth! This is what was important and I just pray that I would be able to focus on being more like You so I would reflect that same grace and truth to those around me. All other things are so temporary, as I am just passing through this world.

Later in the gospel according to John, he records Jesus' words of comfort to the disciples after they hear the news that their Lord would soon die:

""Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.""
‭‭John‬ ‭14:1-4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Jesus must have eased their minds somewhat as He spoke of preparing a place for them in Heaven, as You have many rooms in Your house there. This is the home I want to spend my time thinking about because it will mean that I am with You forever! I'm sure this was what Jesus wanted as He reminded His disciples:

""Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:19-21‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You Lord for coming to dwell with us and to teach us about the most important dwelling of all! Thank You Jesus that because You were born in humble circumstances and spent Your life focused on pointing people to the Father, instead of building a house, I have an example to follow! Thank You that You told us about the Heavenly home You are preparing for us and You humbled Yourself to die on the Cross, so that when I die, I can live with You forever! This will be so wonderful —this is where my treasure is!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.