5. Light Makes All the Difference

It's me again God,

I'm just marvelling at how the view from my window can look so different, depending on the presence of cloud and amount of light. The same view that uplifted me yesterday as sun lit up the trees in a myriad of green tones, is somewhat depressing today as clouds have replaced blue skies, leaving me with a somber grey vista.

Nothing has changed in the landscape itself, it's just the amount of light shining on it that makes the difference. It reminds me of how two people can look at the same set of circumstances and have a completely different understanding and opinion, depending on the light that is shed on the situation!

The circumstances in which Mary found herself, were very unique but the angel's words and the confirmation of her relative Elizabeth, had left her feeling happy and confident that everything would be fine. She was able to trust in You completely, but how would her betrothed view the situation? What would he make of the news that she was pregnant? Matthew recorded the events and Joseph's initial reaction:

"This is how Jesus the Messiah was born. His mother, Mary, was engaged to be married to Joseph. But before the marriage took place, while she was still a virgin, she became pregnant through the power of the Holy Spirit. Joseph, to whom she was engaged, was a righteous man and did not want to disgrace her publicly, so he decided to break the engagement quietly."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:18-19‬ ‭NLT‬‬

This must have been a very difficult decision to make! However, notice what happens when a little light is shed on the situation:

"As he considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream.

"Joseph, son of David," the angel said, "do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For the child within her was conceived by the Holy Spirit. And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."

All of this occurred to fulfill the Lord's message through his prophet: "Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means 'God is with us.'"

When Joseph woke up, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded and took Mary as his wife. But he did not have sexual relations with her until her son was born. And Joseph named him Jesus."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:20-25‬ ‭NLT‬‬

What a difference it made for Joseph to hear from You through the angel! This light caused his view to change completely! He changed his plan from wanting to break off his engagement to having confidence to marry Mary! Joseph was no longer afraid and was ready to obey You!

Lord, may Your light shine on every area of my life today so I may see clearly to do Your will and bring You glory. Often things can look kind of grey and I can feel very uncertain until I just put everything into Your hands and trust You, just as Joseph did.

Jesus, You are my light! Thank You that Your coming into the world, changed things so much:

"Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.""
‭‭John‬ ‭8:12‬ ‭NLT‬‬

I am so grateful that Your plan was never for me to stumble around in the darkness! Thank You for the joy of being able to follow You and put all my trust in You so I will never again walk in the dark but have the light that leads to life forever with You! Your light makes all the difference!

In Jesus' Name,
Amen.