10. Room for Jesus

It's me again God,

Thank You for time away from the busy world outside, just to talk to You and look at Your Word. It's interesting that often at this time of the year, I feel like I have less and less time to read about Jesus and talk to You because I am so busy preparing to celebrate His birth! That's crazy but I'm sure that others have the same issue —there's just not enough room in their busy schedule!

This makes me think of the first Christmas —as Mary and Joseph arrived in Bethlehem, it was very busy —possibly a bit like the busy shopping malls we see today! All the inns were full! There was no room for young Mary, who was due to give birth to Your Son because many had come to Bethlehem for the census.

"While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them."
‭‭Luke‬ ‭2:6-7‬ ‭NIV‬‬

While the details are not clear, it appears that Mary and Joseph ended up sheltering in a place used for animals, as the Saviour of the world had a manger for His first bed! Surely if people had known, they would have invited Mary and Joseph into their own homes and prepared a very special bed for Your Son!

Similarly, there are so many people who will celebrate Christmas without making room for You in their lives at all —they don't know You and are weighed down because they are carrying around their own sin. They have room for so many other things but no room for Jesus! I keep hearing the words of an old hymn playing in my mind:

Have you any room for Jesus,
He who bore your load of sin?
As He knocks and asks admission,
Sinner, will you let Him in?

Room for Jesus, King of Glory!
Hasten now His Word obey;
Swing the heart's door widely open,
Bid Him enter while you may.

Room for pleasure, room for business,
But for Christ the Crucified,
Not a place that He can enter,
In the heart for which He died?

This truly is a picture of how things are for many around me in the world today. This Christmas, I am determined to make room for You myself and to remind others who need to know You, that Jesus is standing at the door of their heart:

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭3:20‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thank You for coming into the world Jesus and for giving us all plenty of reason to celebrate. Help me to keep my eyes focussed on You and all that You have done for me in bearing my sin on the Cross. I rejoice in all that I have because I chose to open the door to You!

Today I am determined to speak freely of the difference You make in my life. I will make room for You in my busy schedule —no I will prioritise You Jesus! I will not be afraid to set other things aside and I will take every opportunity to talk with those around me, reminding them of the significance of the season —inviting them to hear You knocking and open the door of their heart to Jesus!

In His Name,
Amen.