Chapter Six: A Relatively Small Circle of Friends

Ecthelien hummed to herself, slumping back against Rōka's chest as they sat atop the chestnut stallion. They were riding back to Tirion, and it was mind-numbingly boring for her. had also set off that same morning, slightly ahead of her on the way back to their shoreside city. She'd promised to visit when she had the chance, and Ecthelien hoped she'd get the opportunity soon. "Tired, little one?" asked, peering down at her.

"Bored," she corrected, tilting her head back until she was staring up at him. "This journey is long and there is little to do." Ecthelien fiddled with her friendship bracelet, smiling as she remembered all the fun she'd had over the past week. She'd discovered the alarming habit she had of running away and hiding when it came to figures of authority. But she wasn't supposed to run away. She was supposed to be Ecthelion of the Fountain. Her hands curled into fists. She was going to have to pester her father for archery and swordplay lessons. She pouted at the thought. No doubt she'd have to employ the puppy dog eyes. Her fingers ran over the lump in her pocket, reminding her about the pretty diamond she'd received. Though it had broken off into two yet again, leaving her with two smaller pieces. They were still decently sized, and Ecthelien knew she'd be asking her uncle what best to do with them. A smile pulled at her lips. She still had plenty of time before she was due to head off to Arda.

"Sadly, there are no clouds to watch, but do you perhaps know what that tree over there is?"questioned, his tone indulgent as he pointed to the pink blossomed tree.

"A cherry-blossom tree?" she answered, tilting her head in question as she stared at the dark wood contrasting with the pink buds. They arched over the path they were taking, littering the ground, dying the grass in a sea of fallen pink blossoms.

"So you know that one?" He blinked, smiling slightly at her nod. "You are certainly well informed, Ecthelien," he murmured, patting her silky black locks in acknowledgement and she bristled with pride.

"Father goes out to hunt. He tells me all sorts of things about the forest!"

A grin formed on his face, his voice teasing as he spoke. "Yet you still managed to get lost inside the forest," he said, poking at her ribs, and Ecthelien giggled. She was irritatingly ticklish for some reason, and Rōka knew it too. "Then how about that little bush over there? Know what those flowers are next to it, do you?"

Ecthelien pouted, staring at the unfamiliar plants. "No."

Rōka chuckled at her expression, answering her in that joyful voice of his, slowly but surely taking her attention away from how boring the journey was. It wasn't that boring anymore. Ecthelien liked learning new things about her strange and fantastical world – things she hadn't known about it when it had only been written in paper and ink. She loved it, despite the looming threat of Gothmog. That wasn't going to happen for ages, and she was hardly going to let the balrog ruin her childhood. Elflings were well loved by pretty much all of the elven community, and she wasn't going to stay a cute little elfling that could get away with anything and everything for long. She was going to damn well enjoy her time, as she'd proven with her two newest friends. Hopefully she'd make some more in Tirion once she returned... and once she escaped the overbearing protectiveness of her parents that would no doubt befall her the second she returned. But she had no reason to run anymore. Sighing, she slumped backwards into Rōka's chest, ignoring the glances it earnt her from the elf behind her and the others riding closest to them.

"That is a heavy sigh for one so little... what are you thinking of, little one?" he queried, staring up into the darkening sigh as the light of Laurelin faded, and the dimmer silvery glow took over – allowing her to see the many stars Varda had crafted that much more clearly. They twinkled high above, and Ecthelien swore her pocket flared brightly for a split second to match the stars in the night sky.