6

Today was the day. I was coming back to Korea. I completed my training, learned English, and now I was deemed ‘well trained’. I didn’t tell Johnny I was coming back today, but I knew today was the day. I had been counting down the days since I first moved to America. 

I was at the airport with five bags in my hand. My manager was right when he said I’d collect a lot of things while I was here. I boarded my plane and pulled out my phone after we had got into the air and it was quiet. I called Johnny.

“Hey Jae, whats up?”

“Nothing much, I’m actually on my way to the grocery store.”

Johnny paused for a moment and I could hear him quietly counting, “At ten o’ clock at night?” 

“Don’t judge my shopping habits, I’m out of food! And I just waited so that I’d be able to call you while I shop. It’s boring all alone.”

“Oh I see. How’s your English going? You’ve been studying how long now?”

“It’s been almost four years. About a month from now I'm leaving to come back. I’m pretty good in English now actually.”

“Alright then let’s hear it.” Johnny said in English so I switched to English too.

“Hello, my name is Jung Jaehyun. I live in America and I’m going back to see my best friend Johnny in Korea in a month from now.”

“Very impressive. Can you hold the rest of the conversation in English?”

“Sure, if you want me to.” I did exactly as he asked, and we continued in English.

“Dang Jae, I still remember you calling me and telling me about how you needed to use your phone to translate in the grocery store all those years ago.”

I chuckled, “Yeah it was so embarrassing. Though I was forced to learn English even without the classes, since I go shopping for noodles so much.”

“Yeah, noodles with eggs around the side!”

“I’m not that fancy a cook Johnny, just some instant ramen. It isn’t as good here as it is back home though. I miss having kimchi too… I’d have it here, but if I try to make it I’d burn my apartment down.”

Johnny laughed, “We all know you would Jae.”

An hour passed, us just jabbering with each other and finally the call ended. I put my phone in my pocket and pulled out my neck pillow to go to sleep. It was gonna be a long flight, and I’d need my energy to get ready for college. I was enrolled already, and they knew of this trip I had to take, so I just took online classes to keep up in my spare time while I was gone, but I still needed to get my official dorm room and unpack. Soon I drifted off to the deepest most peaceful sleep I've had since I left Korea.

When I woke up, I was fortunate enough to find out I slept through the whole flight, which was a little concerning considering it was a 19 hour trip, but then again that was the only proper sleep I've been able to get in four years.

It was around 5PM in Korea when I landed. I got my bags and just headed straight to my college campus. Where Johnny was… My company already had everything set up for me, I just needed to get my dorm keys from the office...

As I traveled to my dorm I admired my key. I was kinda happy to finally have a roommate. I was definitely excited to visit Johnny after I unpacked. I planned on asking the office for his room number after I had my dorm room setup. 

I put the key into the lock hole and unlocked the door, slowly opening it as I picked my bags up.

"Hey, I don't know if you're in here or not but I'm your new roommate!" I said as I walked through the door.