Trial and Error

After being restrained to her bed for almost 5 days, Carol couldn't walk very well, so she had to be dependent on Maria pushing her around in a wheelchair, something she absolutely hated. When she was finally able to see change of scenery, Carol felt a shift in her mood.

By the time she was wheeled into Natashas room, Carol had immediately noticed the slight discoloration under Natashas eyes. "What's wrong with her? Why is she discolored under her eyes?" Carol felt a mixture of concern and anger arise in her body. Something was off with Natasha, she could tell, but she didn't know what it was.

Maria pulled down the breaks on the wheelchair and looked at Carol with a serious face. "She's only had electrolytes and some nutrients fed to her through the feeding tube. It's not doing much, but it's regulate the body processes. It's also because she's hasn't been outside. Her vitamin D is probably at a new low and her iron probably isn't good either. It'll all get better once we wake her." Maria forced a smile as she knew that Natasha might not make it out of this.

Carol nodded understanding what Maria said. 'Remember Carol, humans are like complex houseplants. They need water and sunlight to grow, but they're a hot mess with their emotions.' Carol smiled as she remembered that little comparison. "Can we be alone for a bit? I want to just be with her." Carol soon heard footsteps and she looked
to see who they belonged too, but it was Maria who was waking out.

The door closed and Carol reached over and grabbed Natashas hand. As soon as their skin made contact, Carol leaned her head onto the bed and sobbed. The tears that trailed down her perfect peachy skin were filled with pain and anger. The shaking of her body was rage trying to escape its holder. The muffled scream wished to be louder. The sadness and despair was building up in her throat, causing an unbearable ache, one that Carol couldn't just swallow down.

Carols nose had become so stuffy, that breathing was impossible. Snot was dripping and she just wiped it away on her short sleeve. Her eyes were burning from the amount of tears she had released and the amount that just kept on going. Finally, after a much needed breakdown, Carol sat up and wiped her tears away and just looked at Natasha. "B-baby I n-need you to wake u-up for me. It's been t-too long and I n-need to see your b-beautiful eyes and y-your s-smile. God your s-smile, I miss it s-so much. I m-miss you so much a-and I lo-love you."

The door opened and Dr. Jacobs walked in with a few other doctors and nurses, including Maria, to observe what he was going to do. Carol watched the mans finger run up and down the IV bag carefully and he removed the one that contained her medication. His eyes went to her viral screen and he saw that thee remained the same. "That's a good sign Carol, it means she's stable." He then transferred a regular IV into that spot filled with a medication to help wake her brain.

The vitals continued to stay stable and they slowly increased up to a normal level. Dr. Jacobs dismisses everyone except for himself and Maria. As the rest cleared the room, Dr. Jacobs looked at Carol and smiled. "So far she's doing great. It takes awhile for her to fully recover, but once she's able to open her eyes, we'll switch out her IV bags and give her proper hydration with additive electrolytes as well. If all goes well, we'll keep her for a few days for observation, check and see if she's paralyzed, if she's got a clean bill of health from me and her neurologist she will discharged. No high hopes please, I don't want to disappoint so early."

Carol nodded her head and looked at Natasha. She tried not to have high hopes, but she was certainly hoping she would at least get to see her girl looking at her and maybe even smile. Carol still held Natashas hand and she stroked her thumb over the back of it. "I'm right here, baby. I'm right here." At that moment, Carol felt a light squeeze from Natashas hand and she immediately looked down at their hands. "She...she just..."

Dr. Jacobs nodded and Maria rubbed Carols back. "Looks like your girlfriend is starting to come back to us." Maria smiled at the two women before her, she knew that the two would have a fantastic life together, now she just hopped everything would work out in their favor.

Carol smiled and nodded with tears filling her eyes. "Yeah, my baby is coming back to me." Before any other words could be said, a soft and dry sound was heard and Carol began to cry more.

"WarBird?"