Final Chapter

I stayed up all night texting and calling Lauren. She never answered, not even once. At this point I'm not sure what to do besides obsess over her. I can't get her out of my head. I mean the whole scene with her dad really got me tripping. He seemed so mad, and she seemed so scared. I've never seen her like that before. Fuck my life, I just wish she would talk to me.

"Hey Jordan watch what you're doing man!" Ray yelled from across the garage.

I look down to see oil spilling all over my pants. I must have been spaced out again. I swear I woke up, got dressed, came to work and I don't remember any of it. My mind has been gone.

"Shit my bad." I dropped the oil jug and ran to get a towel from the bathroom.

Dale hasn't been in yet today. I would be worried, but this isn't the first time he just hasn't come in. I guess when you're the boss you do what you want. I checked my phone while I was in the bathroom getting paper towels. Still nothing from Lauren. Man... I don't think I'ma to be able to do this.

I went back to the spot on the floor and wiped it all up. Messing up my joggers even more in the process.

"Hey Ray? You still need me today?"

"Nah go home Jordan, you're good!"

Cool. That's all I needed to hear. I threw my hand up grabbed my keys and walked out the front door.

I drove my mom's car to work today. Her car hasn't worked for months but since I got this job I was able to get the starter fixed almost for free. We just did it here and replaced it with an old used one. Hell, it worked so moms not complaining.

I plopped down in the driver's seat and took my joint out of the glove compartment that I stashed earlier. I lit it before turning on the engine and driving off.

I took my phone out to call Lauren again.

*Ringing*
*Ringing*
*Voicemail*

Damn what the hell is going on. I tried calling her one more time....Still nothing. Fuck it. This is crazy. I can't even function right right now. I have to know what's going on. I have to find out if she's ok.

I switched lanes and I turned the car around and headed towards Courtland. I guess I'll find out one way or another.

I pulled up to Lauren's apartment building 10 minutes later, and honestly I was nervous as hell. I didn't see her car when I pulled up, but I hoped someone was home anyway. May as well check while I was already there.

I climbed to her door, took a breath and knocked. I almost turned away but I thought I heard someone moving. I leaned in closer.

I knocked again.

"Who is it?" A soft voice cracked the door.

My heart jumped through the roof.

"It's... it's Jordan."

The door opened some more and I could finally see Lauren's roommate.

"You...you cant be here. You have to leave."

"Huh? Why where's Lauren? I thought you was moving out anyway"

"She...can't talk to you. Okay? Just leave her alone."

The hell she mean leave her alone?

"Well is she here?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter."

At that point I was over it "Look man" I could feel myself losing my temper.

"I know somethings up with my girl. If she's here I need to talk to her."