Chapter Twenty

~*~

~*~

"Is there another way out?" Cara asks.

Dessa's eyes flutter open at the veteran's question. She had been trying to calm her nerves down, and did not know that Din had stopped contacting Kuiil.

"That's the only way," Greef sighs, nodding to where the army stood.

"What about the sewers?" Din asks, more calm than he was a few minutes ago.

"The sewers?" Greef asks with skepticism.

At this point, she'd gladly go through the sewers if that meant she'd be able to go to Kuiil.

"The Mandalorians have a covert down in the sewers," Din explains quickly. "If we get down there, they can help us escape."

"Yeah, the sewers are good," Cara agrees.

"Checking for access points," Din taps his helmet. She hears a strange beeping noise.

"What the hell are they waiting for?" Cara asks as she speaks through the window.

"I honestly don't want to stick around long enough to find out," Dessa admits with a nervous laugh.

"Hold up," Cara says, and the three glance over at her, "they're setting up an E-web."

"It's over," Greef says nervously.

"I found a sewer vent," Din announces.

"Let's get the hell out of here," Cara says.

She and Cara follows Din's lead to the back of the room and help him toss the chairs out of the way. Sure enough, there was a small vent behind the chairs, but it's hard for them to move.

"It's assembled!" Greef exclaims. "How long until that thing is cleared?"

"Blow it!" Cara suggests.

"I'm out of charges," Din says with frustration.

"Get out of the way!" Cara demands.

She and Din manage to get out of the way. Cara grabs the rifle she'd dropped onto the couch, and fires rapidly against the vent. It doesn't even budge. Cara kicks it, and grunts in frustration. Nothing.