6

Mr Heywood said that he was not going to join them for the ball, but Charlotte was not having it, and neither was Mrs Griffiths. »Of course you're coming, Mr Heywood! You must see your daughter dance!«

»I fear I haven't brought the right clothes for such an occasion.«

»Oh, don't worry about that, we'll find something for you.« – and when it was time to leave, the governess had Mr Heywood kitted out in slightly unfitting white trousers, a marginally too large tailcoat and one of Tom Parker's waistcoats. Charlotte had opted for the white dress she had worn for the first ball in Sanditon – the blue one having been ruined during the night of the fire, and what was left of it tainted by the memory of what had come afterwards.

»You look very beautiful, Charlotte,« Mr Heywood said with a proud glow in his eyes.

»Thank you, Papa.« He was obviously uncomfortable, in a stranger's clothes, being so far removed from his usual patch in Willingden. »Ready to meet the crowd?«

»I don't think the crowd has been waiting for me, but I shall follow you.«

The assembly rooms glowed in the shine of hundred candles, alighted for the last time this season. Everything here breathed luxury and abundance: the glittering chandelier, the gilded pillars, the polished marble floor, the voluminous flower arrangements, the richly appointed boxes for very noble patrons like Lady Denham.

»Are we not out of place?« Mr Heywood asked his daughter when Tom Parker announced their names. »This is not our corner of society.«

Indeed, the rooms were more crowded than ever, and the assembled society seemed to be more refined, more distinguished than on the previous events. There was still the occasional Sanditon shopkeeper amongst them, as well as the local solicitor, the Reverend and of course Mr Stringer – but mostly, they were strangers, part of Tom Parker's beloved beau monde, gentlemen like Mr Crowe and Lord Babington, and great ladies sporting the most elaborate hairstyles, finest jewellery and elegant dresses.

»It's all coming true,« Tom whispered to Charlotte and her father as they marvelled at the crowd. »The beau monde is coming to Sanditon.«

»I'm so glad for you,« Charlotte said.

»Thank you, my dear.« Tom coughed. »That means a lot to me. – Mr Heywood, I wish you the most enjoyable of evenings.«

»Thank you, sir,« Mr Heywood said, looking doubtfully around him. »Beau monde,« he repeated under his breath. »What does that have to do with us?«

»Whatever we want,« Charlotte said. From the corner of her eye she saw Georgiana reunited with her faithful dancing partner, Arthur Parker, and the Misses Beaufort giggling away while their governess blushed after yet another compliment from the Reverend. A few steps further Mary Parker was listening with her usual angel's patience to a sorrowful speech from her sister-in-law. There was Mr Crowe leading an unknown beauty to the dance floor, and from the very back of the room, Mr Stringer smiled and nodded at her. The beau monde means nothing, Charlotte thought. It was her friends and confidantes that counted. But how to explain that to her father, who was looking around himself as if he wanted to fight everyone off who dared to come close?

»Miss Heywood!« No trouble recognizing that voice: Lady Denham, seated in a box behind her, impatiently waved her by her side.

»Let's meet the lady of the town, Papa,« she said to her father and drew him to where Lady Denham, accompanied by Lord and Lady Babington, was presiding in a richly gilded armchair.

»Miss Heywood!« Lady Denham cried again when Charlotte bowed to her. »And that gentleman, I suppose, is your father.«

Charlotte replied very concisely that he was, and then went on to introduce Mr Heywood to Lord and Lady Babington, who welcomed him very cordially (his lordship) and a little aloof (her ladyship) to Sanditon. Lady Denham, however, was not interested in niceties. »Tell me, Mr Heywood, what do you think about your daughter's progress?«