𝑩𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝑨𝒈𝒂𝒊𝒏

Hattie was sitting in her chair in Jefferson's classroom; she was sketching in her notebook, ignoring the whole lecture that was being presented, Victoria was just finishing her answer, "

Hattie was sitting in her chair in Jefferson's classroom; she was sketching in her notebook, ignoring the whole lecture that was being presented, Victoria was just finishing her answer, "...Hopeless faces. You feel, like, totally haunted by the eyes of those sad mothers and children."

Jefferson nodded at her answer, "I could frame any one of you in a dark corner, and capture you in a moment of desperation..." There was a click of a camera behind Hattie, she ignored it, she was too busy with her sketch to care, "Sh... Sh...  I believe Max has taken what you kids call a selfie, a dumb word for a wonder photographic tradition, and Max has a gift, of course, as you all know..."

Max leaned forward and whispered to Hattie, "Hattie?" Hattie ignored her at first, but then turned to her, "Darkroom, ring any bells?" Hattie gave her a confused look, not sure what she meant. But, then a handful of memories flooded back, she was confused and scared, she remembered everything, Max noticed the look on her face, "Good, you can be on my side now. Just play everything out like you have before, okay? Pretend you know nothing. Nathan will be okay."

"Now, Max, since you've captured our interest and clearly want to join the conversation, can you please tell us the name of the process that gave birth to the first self-portraits?" Mr. Jefferson asked Max, tilting his head.

"The Daguerreian Process," Max answered quickly, without a moment to think about it.

"Oh well... That was easy, Max," Jefferson was clearly surprised at how quickly she answered the question.

"Was it?" She scoffed at him, "Okay." Victoria turned in her seat and glared at Max, resting her arm on the back of her chair, her stare was cold.

Jefferson cleared his throat awkwardly after the interaction, "Well, okay then... So- uh, the Daguerreian Process made portraiture hugely popular, mainly because it gave the subjects defined features. You can learn more when you actually finished reading the assigned chapters... Obviously, Max has read them."

Then the school bell rang, Hattie stood up and met with Max, "What's your plan?" She questioned her.

Jefferson stood at the front of the room, "And guys, don't forget the deadline to submit in the Everyday Heroes contest, I'll fly out-"

"To change time," Max explained, "I need to save Chloe... And Nathan for you."

Hattie gave her a nod and followed behind her, "Stella and Alyssa, get it together... Taylor! Don't hide, I'm still waiting for your entry too..." Jefferson called out students as they exited, "Hattie and Max, I see you guys ignoring me!"

"Bastard," Max mumbled when she was out of earshot, "We have to warn David about Jefferson and the Dark Room." They ran to Max's locker and she fumbled around for a school pamphlet, "We should be able to find his number in here... Aha, found it!" Hattie watched as Max texted David, she read it as she typed it out.