Suds | Season 1, Episode 2

[Last time on Suds, Shantel lurked in the darkness, spying on her ex, Darien, while he was having a private chat on the beach with God. Shantel imagined him falling desperately in love with her, and as she crawled out of the darkness, hoping to bring her dream into reality, a voice called from behind. It was Terrance, her new boyfriend. Looks like Shantel might be slipping.]

Think, Shantel, think.
She panicked, keeping her poker face intact as she glanced down at her sandy knees. Shantel laughed. The gurgling sound stopped short, hitching in her throat. She pressed her lips together.

"Oh, please tell me you didn't see that." She dusted dry sand from her knees, faking embarrassment as she shook her head.

Terrance glared at Darien, who glanced over at him and Shantel, gave a lukewarm wave, and walked away. After muttering a string of curses, Terrance shifted his attention to Shantel. He took in her beauty of her wrought smile, unsure of how to respond to what he thought he saw.

Shantel babbled.
"I'm a mess." She rolled her eyes. "I was walking over to say hi to D. You know me being the bigger person and all, and I tripped." Her eyes bulged as she gestured toward the cushioned lounge chair.

"I tripped over the lounger." Shantel groaned, rubbing her palms together to dust away the sand. "I'm dirty now," she said, pouting. "What kind of an idiot trips over a bright white chair?"
She aimed the self-depreciating comment directly at Terrance's bizarre need to protect her.

He glanced at her knees, squinting back the urge to help her. Terrance's glare trailed Darien's path until he watched the darkness swallow his shadow.

Shantel folded her arms across her chest, biting her bottom lip.

"I must look like a fool." She tilted her head to the side, commanding her eyes to water. They obeyed. She rolled her eyes up toward the starry sky, balancing the liquid that threatened to spill over her bottom lid.

Terrance melted.

"Nah, baby, I don't think you're stupid. Maybe a little on the clumsy side, but I think that's cute." He lifted her chin and kissed her tears.

She pulled away, pouting.
"You playing shy now?" He teased. "Last I checked, wasn't nothing shy about you."

A girly giggle ruffled her lips, and she threw her arms around his neck. "All girls get a little shy from time to time."

"Not my girl. Not with me. Ain't no need for all that." He rubbed her back, staring into her chestnut brown eyes. "I love you, girl."

What? Shantel loosened her grip around his neck and stumbled.

Terrance braced her limp body with his own. Her mind raced. Terrance never used the L word before. He can't really be in love with me. It's only been two months.

Shantel gulped back the burning desire to tell him the truth. She couldn't bear the thought of being alone. With tear-filled eyes she professed.

"I love you too, baby." The lie tightened in her chest. She exhaled, hoping he couldn't feel her body tremble.

A genuine smile inched across Terrance's face. His eyes sparkled brighter than the stars.

Her breath caught.

He really does love me, she thought.

The chill around her heart melted and deep dimples pierced her cheeks as she smiled back.

I could grow to love him, she reasoned, and tippy toed into his loving kiss.

Except, when she closed her eyes, she still saw Darien.

[Stay tuned. It can only get more slippery.]

Oh & don't forget to vote!!
🌺